Seth

AntiSpyware 2007

Nick,

Are you guys aware of:

http://www.antispyware.com/

With SAS Pro running, I installed it and ran a deep scan. First alarm bell? The scan only took about 5 minutes meaning that the definition file base is sorely lacking...but not so in false positive definitions:

It found NUMEROUS false positives and no legitimate malware. FP's included the Maxthon browser, Limewire, Bittorrent, my Java scheduler, and the Ultimate Boot Disk.

Removing the false positives (lol) requires registration and an email address. I didn't go that far of course, but I'm sure at that point they'll be asking for money.

A full scan with SAS doesn't detect it either. I'm assuming SAS doesn't detect it as it can be easily removed from Add/Remove and the typical rogue warnings can be disabled. However, I was hoping for a more official response.

Thanks!

Nick,

Are you guys aware of:

http://www.antispyware.com/

With SAS Pro running, I installed it and ran a deep scan. First alarm bell? The scan only took about 5 minutes meaning that the definition file base is sorely lacking...but not so in false positive definitions:

It found NUMEROUS false positives and no legitimate malware. FP's included the Maxthon browser, Limewire, Bittorrent, my Java scheduler, and the Ultimate Boot Disk.

Removing the false positives (lol) requires registration and an email address. I didn't go that far of course, but I'm sure at that point they'll be asking for money.

A full scan with SAS doesn't detect it either. I'm assuming SAS doesn't detect it as it can be easily removed from Add/Remove and the typical rogue warnings can be disabled. However, I was hoping for a more official response.

Thanks!

I won't comment on the products effectiveness, as you have already tested that - we don't detect it as it's not really a "rogue". They are the same people that make "SpywareBot" - they bought the antispyware.com domain some time ago and create a "Microsoft look-a-like" site to promote it. They also bid on our SUPERAntiSpyware keywords on Google :(