Sign in to follow this  
ecbritz

Does "Real Time Protection" really work?

I've been using Malwarebytes Premium for a while and often see a notification that a malicious website or dangerous upload or download has been blocked. You can actually see Malwarebytes providing realtime protection. There is no sign of Superantispyware actually blocking or stopping threats in real time. Does Superantispyware really provide the kind of protection that Malwarebytes offers?

HI ecbritz,

Yes, SUPERAntiSpyware realtime protection does work and we test it daily in our lab! At the core, SAS detects, prevents execution of, and deletes malware files with its realtime.  SAS does not block malicious websites like MBAM does.  SAS also does not block tracking cookies in realtime as we have found that this can negatively impact the browsing experience.

Thanks,

Geoff

Thanks very much for the honest and informative reply, I really respect and appreciate this. What I usually see with Malwarebytes, is that it blocks malicious internet traffic to and from my computer. It will block an outgoing message generated without my knowledge or approval by my computer. The question is if Superantispyware would prevent such outgoing messages from being generated (or being sent out) by killing the origin, source, or cause in time. Is there a logic according to which Superantispyware protects the user in realtime as well as Malwarebytes supposedly does? 

Hi ecbritz,

If I understand you correctly, SUPERAntiSpyware's realtime engine uses (basically) the same detection definitions as our on-demand scanner does.  If an item is detected as malicious by realtime -- typically by an execution attempt or a file move/copy operation, etc., then it is prevented from executing and it is removed and quarantined.  Removal of the executables causing the malicious network traffic (and thereby stopping the traffic) is similar to what you are talking about with MBAM, but it is not the same.  Again, SAS does not currently block malicious websites or any other network traffic directly.

Thanks,

Geoff