Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

classicalpiano

CA's CA Anti-Spyware

I use CA Anti-Virus and am satisfied with it, despite some criticism and it's unfamiliarity with a lot of people. I also purchased SUPERAntispyware Pro. I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with CA's CA Anti-Spyware and how it stacks up with SUPERAntispyware.

It would be nice to hear opinions from both user-members and from the people at SAS.

Thank you . . . Jeff

it's unfamiliarity

Security through obscurity , IMO . Part of the reason Norton and Mcafee miss a huge number of new infections is that the black hats know what AVs are most popular and engeneere against them .

anyone is familiar with CA's CA Anti-Spyware and how it stacks up with SUPERAntispyware.

I have used it quite a bit and found it to be just shy of the top tier . CA is far more aggressive against software in the gray zone (P2P , semi legit adware with accurate EULAs ...) than most AS apps . As far as what it detects , it does very well but not quite as well as my two favorites (SAS and counterspy) . What I don't like about CA is their frequency of updates . SAS updates on a far more frequent basis .

The artist formaly known as PestPatrol.

Middle of the road in my personal experience.Very prone to f/p's,IRC had a thing about flagging registry values(zones) in blocklists of other security software(IE SpyAd,Spyware Blaster etc).Not sure if that is still the case :?:

Once apon a time it was in the lead group but IME since being purchased the software has been on a slow decline.Infrequency of updates is a bad thing for combatting malwares on the web today.

There is far better available IMHO

nosirrah and fatdcuk --

Thanks for your responses. I have been using CA Anti-Virus since 2001 when it was originally known as Inoculate and then EZ-Antivirus. At that time CA was a great company with terrific software, but it has gone downhill somewhat since the big fallout with Wang and Sanjay. CA Anti-Virus is very aggressive and its updates are frequent, sometimes several times a day (I have it set for auto updates). Their support, on the other hand is terrible, awful, and essentially non-existent. I guess I stick with it because I'm used to it and my subscription runs out in June 2008. Probably, I will change my AV at that time.

I purchased SAS Pro because I gave up Ad-Aware and SpyBot. Those two programs became bloated, intrusive, and do not offer sufficient real-time protection.

However, I was just wondering how SAS Pro compares to CA's new Anti-Spyware. It is, indeed, PestPatrol in different clothing, and probably with not much improvement. They both (SAS and CA Anti-Spyware) serve the same function, but I do like SAS Pro's numerous updates, real-time protection without being intrusive, and it's great support (lacking with any CA product).

Thanks again.