SUPERAntiSpy

SAS RAM use

I've been thinking about buying SAS Pro, but...

I'm using SAS free with "show icon in system tray" off. With it on it uses 38.6 mb of RAM, all the while doing nothing.

If I was using SAS Pro for rtp, how much more RAM will be used?

I'm currently using Spyware Terminator for rtp, it only uses about 20 mb of RAM.

For my RAM starved pc's I need programs that use as little RAM as possible.

Windows swaps out unused memory, so when we are idle the memory will be swapped out and won't effect system performance. Task Manager is NOT accurate in showing all the memory used, it won't report kernel memory - so none of ST's kernel drivers show up as far as memory usage.

:idea: If RAM usage is such a concern then install more RAM! (IMO), I do not understand the people who want to utilize multiple programs, do not have enough system resources to do so and then complain about the way their computer operates. More RAM, multiple programs, less RAM, fewer programs. Just a thought!

With ST I had a lot of troubles and I have no time to play with my PC.

It's free but it's crap.

ST is not "crap". When I used Windows Defender for rt, AVG AS & SAS would sometimes find infections. Switching to ST for rt, AVG AS & SAS don't find anything other than a rare fp. I use the free versions of AVG AS & SAS. ST as you can see does an excellent job.

Any av or as can get a detection update before another. In your case SAS got a detection for the trojan that infected your system before ST. It is possible for you to become infected by some malware before SAS gets a detection update for that malware. This is a risk we all face. When the detection update comes our systems will be cleaned up.

From my experience AVG AS, SAS & ST are the three best as's (alphabetical order).

Curious why no SUPERAntiSpyware in your sig? :)

:idea: If RAM usage is such a concern then install more RAM! (IMO), I do not understand the people who want to utilize multiple programs, do not have enough system resources to do so and then complain about the way their computer operates. More RAM, multiple programs, less RAM, fewer programs. Just a thought!

My Dell Hell is maxed out at 512 mb of RAM, that is all that the chipset can handle. Plus (or should I say minus) 64mb is reserved for video only, leaving me only 448mb RAM. That is why I call it Dell Hell.

I wish I could upgrade to 1gb!!!

This is why I am on the lookout for good software that uses less RAM.

Windows swaps out the unused memory - so using task manager to "see" how much something uses really is not accurate......

Curious why no SUPERAntiSpyware in your sig? :)

Real-time security programs are the front lines of defence.

They're also the most likely causes of issues. Should I have a problem with SAS you & others can quickly see my os & rt software to help determine any possible conflict.

Since I'm a member of this forum, its a given I use SAS.

In other forums do you link to SUPERAntiSpyware in your signature? Just curious.....

Hi,

I'm using the below mentioned hardwares:

1. Intel Duo Core 2 processor.

2. 2 GB DDR2 RAM (1024*2, 566 MHz).

3. 160 GB SATA HDD.

4. Windows XP Professional SP2, etc...

Even though I have such a nice hardware configuration I have a remarkable speed decrease after installing SAS Professional Registered version!

Before the "Welcome screen" I see "Windows is starting up" for quite some time and then Windows Slowly boots further.

As per my calculation without SAS my PC boots up in 16 seconds but after installing SAS it takes about 22 seconds! Isn't that strange?

You can turn off the First Chance Prevention if you want the 6 seconds of boot time back - or do you want to give up 6 seconds on a boot to make sure your system isn't infected?

As per my calculation without SAS my PC boots up in 16 seconds but after installing SAS it takes about 22 seconds! Isn't that strange?

How many times do you boot up that box per day?

And no, those 6 seconds aren't strange to me.

Use those 6 seconds to say to your partner or dog or cat etc: I still love you as much as I met you the first day.

Hmm took me 24 seconds to write and send this message.

Regards,

Gerard

I disabled the first chance prevention and it made no difference to me.

BTW, yesterday I've upgraded to Intel Inside Quad Core processor. It takes now 13 seconds to boot without SAS and again it takes about 18 seconds to boot after installing it.

Moreover even though I love the realtime protection but I get infected frequently....due to "some reasons".

I've 23 malwares on my PC which are not detected by SAS but have been detected by Kaspersky 2007.

Where could I submit those malwares to SAS labs. What are the requirement for joining the Malware Diagnosis forum section?

Are you certain that SUPERAntiSpyware is the cause of your slow down? Are you running any other security programs or a security suite? The settings in one of the other programs may be the cause of the slow down, especially if one of those are set to perform a specific scan at start up! :?

I disabled the first chance prevention and it made no difference to me.

BTW, yesterday I've upgraded to Intel Inside Quad Core processor. It takes now 13 seconds to boot without SAS and again it takes about 18 seconds to boot after installing it.

Moreover even though I love the realtime protection but I get infected frequently....due to "some reasons".

I've 23 malwares on my PC which are not detected by SAS but have been detected by Kaspersky 2007.

Where could I submit those malwares to SAS labs. What are the requirement for joining the Malware Diagnosis forum section?

You can submit them to samples AT superantispyware.com. The Quad Processor won't help the boot speed much unless the applications loading are set to run in different threads. You are talking about 5 seconds difference - that is nothing.

The more programs you have that startup when your computer starts, the slower the computer will startup...

So if you remove all your security programs and other programs your computer will start really fast.. but then you will get malware and then suddenly it maybe takes 5 min for your computer to startup ;P

zip, i think that you should go ahead and try SAS pro.. you should be able to install it and run it for free, for a trial period, and then you can see for yourself how things go.. i don't think the pro version will use any more memory than what you say that you are seeing used when the free version is running..

also, i don't think that having 512 mb of memory would be a problem.. i only have 512 mb of memory..