Sign in to follow this  
BOBRGR

Abnormal number of detections: Problem with update?

SAS scan usually kicks up <100 detections on a pc 1-2 days between scans. This morning I updated SAS on 2 PC's, ran scans and it kicks up >300 baddies on one, >500 on the other...never seen numbers close to that. In both cases I shut down SAS using task manager before doing the clean. I had a bad experience with Avast once when a bad definitions file flagged necessary system files as baddies, so I distrust out of bounds scans...especially since 2 PC's were involved and I hadn't visited any Badlands that would increase the number of detections.

Please confirm that SAS has or has not had a problem update.

Thanks.

I ran SAS on another PC [After creating a restore pt]..a laptop I hadn't scanned for 11 days but updated yesterday with  database 11987. Found 547 trackers, again way over average, but I looked them over, found nothing but cookies. Looked like many were duplicate listings of the same cookie. None of them looked like keepers so I cleaned them. No adverse effects seen. I opened a couple of sites the browser is supposed to know and it knew them. Still, strange looking at the July scan logs, threats detected: 2, 2, 77, 3, 77 and then today 547 threats detected.

Hi All,

We actually did a little tune-up on our cookie detection, so what you're seeing comes as no surprise.  Thanks for using SAS!

Geoff

Thanks for answering.

<<so what you're seeing comes as no surprise>> If there's a way of letting wary users know what's coming, the surprise would be lessened.

I've noticed that quite often the same cookies kept coming back...hope the change curtails that a bit.

Thanks again. SAS is a very good program.