Upton

Installing Superantispyware

Excuse me, but I'm a bit of a newbie. If I install the free home version of your product, can it be used just for scanning purposes? I already have real time protection with Windows Live OneCare.

Absolutely :D

Thats the great thing about SAS free is that it is a fully functioning detection and cleaning engine for on demand scans or roll out for use on infected pc's.

Thats the great thing about SAS free is that it is a fully functioning detection and cleaning engine for on demand scans or roll out for use on infected pc's.

Dear,

Can there also two programm's, Windows Defender and SasPro real-time protection be used?

Dear,

Can there also two programm's, Windows Defender and SasPro real-time protection be used?

Yes, they will work fine together in real-time.

Dear,

Really ? I was under the impression that using more then 1 real time protection of each type was a bad thing, HJT advisor's say only 1 real time protection of each type should be run at any one time, eg 1 firewall, 1 anti virus and 1 anti Spyware product, and when running standalone scanners these should be disabled whilst running them to avoid conflict as sometimes they could be fighting each other, or do you know something I haven't heard on this ?

Really ? I was under the impression that using more then 1 real time protection of each type was a bad thing, HJT advisor's say only 1 real time protection of each type should be run at any one time, eg 1 firewall, 1 anti virus and 1 anti Spyware product, and when running standalone scanners these should be disabled whilst running them to avoid conflict as sometimes they could be fighting each other, or do you know something I haven't heard on this ?

8210GUY I can only speak from my own experience with my own PC. As I have Vista Windows Defender is already there and I use SAS Pro with real-time enabled. I have a tendency to forget all about Defender being there and the two ran together with real-time enabled for a long time. I turned the real-time in Defender off a while back and there was absolutely no difference in the running of the PC with it either off or on with SAS on all the time, so I would conclude that they do run fine together. I also use KAV.

Well I think it's safe to say you will see no physical clash between running more than 1 type of real protection at the same time, until I saw the warnings from HJT advisor's I used to run as much stuff as I could, and as you say there were no visible signs of a problem, BUT, the way I understand it now is that each real time protection has it's own areas it covers and looks for trouble, and by running more than 1 of the same type real time protection means the 2 (or more) real time programs will\could end up restricting the other from reading the areas it needs to watch for problems, thus meaning an infection could creep in undetected and cause problems because the real time protections were blindsiding each other for want of a better phrase.

I have Windows Defender running on my xp computer and superantispware free running at startup.

I have Vista Home Premium which has WD built in and the pro version of superantispyware and they play nice together too.

The rule is to make sure you schedule them at separate times to run and this way you will have no conflicts.

robin

Well in a way you've just confirmed what I was repeating from hearing HJT advisor's over time, you say not to run one scanning at the same time as the other one, so you obviously know there can be problems which is the same as I had heard etc, well having real time protection turned on with both\any\all such protection your doing just what you said not too, which is only scan with one at a time, if they are both giving real time protection surely thats the same as both\all running scans at the same time ?

Please don't think I'm trying to be awkward or anything, I'm just trying to get a greater understanding of these things, and given what I have seen highly respected HJT advisor's say I'm obviously confused when others say it is OK, I was hoping as this was the makers site that they could endow some enlightenment on this subject ?

not really,

when you are scanning it is a bit different than when a program is "watching"

When you are doing a scan either quick or full, every file is being scanned on your computer and that slows it down a bit. If you have 2 programs scanning at the exact same time, they are going to surely fight each other and you might wind up with a full crash of the OS or at least one of the programs.

When it is sitting as a residential shield it is watching to "grab" what might come in or change on your computer. Antivirus protection sits there and waits till something comes in and it is a resident application and it would also have the same problem if you scheduled a scan of it at the same time you scheduled a scan of WD or Superantispyware. But yet it does fine just sitting there and awaiting.

Yes they all are "running" in the backround but that normally doesn't cause a conflict. 2 antivirus programs WILL cause a problem running at startup together and also running in the backround. They will definitely fight each other.

But 1 antispyware program and 1 antivirus program will work fine as resident shields.

In fact Windows Defender which is not an application but a Service plays nice with all 3 but if you ran a scan at the same time with any of the above you would cause major conflicts.

robin

Well yes I agree 1 at a time is fine and safe which has been the basis of my comments all through this, but the way you said it I'm wondering if theres some confusion here, you say 1 anti virus and 1 anti Spyware program which I totally agree with along with 1 firewall, BUT, SUPERAntiSpyware FULL version gives real time anti Spyware protection, but surely using windows defender also gives real time protection as well ? in which case you would be running 2 anti Spyware products at the same time in real time protection.

Windows Defender runs as a service not an application and has no problem running along side (and I do not mean scanning- I mean "watching") with Superantispyware, AVG Antivirus (which I use), I know it runs with most every other antivirus program, nor any other antispyware program that has a residential shield.

As said, you can only run one antivirus program- 2 will fight with each other.

You should only run 1 antispyware program (other than WD) because they may fight each other too. You can run 2 but you are risking a problem.

You cannot do a scan with another "anything" program running because they all go through your files, will definitely slow your computer down to a crawl if all run together, or worse drive your operationg system crazy and make it crash too.

I hope this clears this up.

Regards

Robin

Yes that does clear it up, so, I think at least lol, so I was right about running 2 anti Spyware programs as I've heard HJT advisor's say as being a bad thing, what I got wrong then was my understanding about what windows defender is\does, I thought it too was an anti Spyware product running in real time hence my confused comments, mind you I think I saw something mentioned about WD as well, I'll need to find that if I can just to check, Thanks for the info.