madhatter

what happened to SAS?

I remember a time, many years ago, when SAS was very good at catching more than just adware cookies.  I still have SAS running on 5 of my machines, but it hasn't detected anything but cookies in as long as I can remember.  I run periodic scans with other AV software (ESET) after running SAS Complete Scans, and ESET will find things and take care of them, fortunately.

This is sad, because SAS used to be the go-to product for difficult to find and remove malware.

No antispyware/adware programs are 100% in detecting threats and that goes same for antivirus software. What version of SAS do you have? SAS Pro and Free is compatible with installed antivirus software and I don't think it will cause an issue in the functions of two of them. I have SAS Pro and Avast Antivirus and both of them works great.

No antispyware/adware programs are 100% in detecting threats and that goes same for antivirus software. What version of SAS do you have? SAS Pro and Free is compatible with installed antivirus software and I don't think it will cause an issue in the functions of two of them. I have SAS Pro and Avast Antivirus and both of them works great.

Hi staticguy,

I agree with your observation, what I am saying is that SAS doesn't catch ANYTHING more than adware cookies, anymore.  It's not that it doesn't work in conjunction with other programs (I have ESET A/V and Malwarebytes, but SAS does virtually nothing.  I have the latest version of SAS Pro.

I don't know maybe it doesn't detect anything suspicious i.e. malware, spyware, adware, PUP, or etc. Tracking cookies will be easily detected. If you did a full system scan with your ESET AV and MBAM and it comes clean then your SAS should come clean.

Remember to protect your computer in the following below:

1) Make sure your current Windows OS is at least Windows 7 or 8 with the latest service pack.

2)Install antivirus and keep it current

3) Make sure all your other programs i.e. Java, Flash, Adobe products, and etc are the latest version.

4) Make sure your other antispyware software i.e. MBAM and Superantispyware program are the latest version.

5) Download programs from the official website.

6) Don't click on random links that you don't know.

7) Use common sense.

These way your computer won't get infected or attacked by malware.

I don't know maybe it doesn't detect anything suspicious i.e. malware, spyware, adware, PUP, or etc. Tracking cookies will be easily detected. If you did a full system scan with your ESET AV and MBAM and it comes clean then your SAS should come clean.

>> I run SAS first and then the others afterwards, the others find things SAS doesn't.  SAS only seems to find tracking cookies.  

Remember to protect your computer in the following below:

1) Make sure your current Windows OS is at least Windows 7 or 8 with the latest service pack.

>> affirmative

2)Install antivirus and keep it current

>> affirmative

3) Make sure all your other programs i.e. Java, Flash, Adobe products, and etc are the latest version.

>> affirmative

4) Make sure your other antispyware software i.e. MBAM and Superantispyware program are the latest version.

>> affirmative

5) Download programs from the official website.

>> affirmative

6) Don't click on random links that you don't know.

>> affirmative

7) Use common sense.

>> affirmative

>> I don't see how any of these things change the fact that SAS is largely useless

These way your computer won't get infected or attacked by malware.

I'm sorry that you're under the impression that SAS is useless. As stated earlier, no software catches everything. We are updating our definition set daily to detect current malware infections. We know that SAS currently detects ~3,000,000 malware infections a months. That doesn't include tracking cookies. What I'm wondering is what type of infections is ESET detecting and why are you getting infected on such a regular basis. 

Thanks

Don

Hi Don, fortunately I do practice safe hex, so I don't get infected all that often, but when I do, I have noticed that SAS hasn't found the culprits.  I tried to upload a word doc wuth a sample of what ESET caught that SAS didn't, but your uploader won't allow it.

Hi Don, fortunately I do practice safe hex, so I don't get infected all that often, but when I do, I have noticed that SAS hasn't found the culprits.  I tried to upload a word doc wuth a sample of what ESET caught that SAS didn't, but your uploader won't allow it.

I think it needs to be a .exe file to upload.

Any chance ESET could be giving a FP?