Sign in to follow this  
Rerdan

Bitminer/bitcoins

Hello,

would like to know if SUPERAntiSpyware also searches for bitminer installed against your will in your pc.

I searched around the forums and stuff but couldn't find an answer.

Thank you for your time!

Hello Rerdan,

SUPERAntiSpyware does indeed detect many variants of BitCoin mining software, however I'm sure there are undiscovered versions that are not currently detected by SAS.

SUPERAntiSpyware Malware Research

By undiscovered versions does that apply to general trojans/virus as well or most specifically to bitcoin mining?

I'm sure there's always undiscovered stuff but reading your reply seems like you work more on other viruses than bitcoin mining specifically? Just curious.

Thank you for the quick reply!

The 'undiscovered versions' I mentioned applies to all types of malware. There are literally hundreds of thousands of new Trojans, viruses, unwanted programs, adware, and all sorts of nasty software that are released every day. We do what we can to target as many of these as possible, but due to the sheer number there is no way that one company can detect them all.

There are programs that people run to intentionally mine BitCoins, and there are also programs which silently use up some of your processing power to mine BitCoins in the background without the user's knowledge. The programs that we target are of the second variety.

BitCoin mining software is definitely lower on our target list than Trojan Horses or Adware, but we do try to target the more common varieties as we discover them.

Thank you so much for your reply. Now it was very clear for me.

Thank you again from a user that uses SAS for a very long time already but it was the first time actually that I had a bitcoin issue (which I dealt with manually so I wondered if it was something else left that SAS could catch).

Thanks!