Sign in to follow this  
Sam Beatle

Backdoor.Hupigon/Variant

I have SUPER AntiSpyware [sAS] Ver. 6.0.1168, my OS is Windows XP Pro, I ran a full scan yesterday and Backdoor.Hupigon/Variant was listed.  I understand this is VERY bad!  I let SAS remove the file to quarantine.  Then I restarted my computer (as directed).  Today, I ran a complete scan again.  Again, I was notified about Backdoor.Hupigon/Variant and again I elected to remove the file to quarantine.  What the heck is going on?  Is this particular malware impossible for SAS to remove, or is this a false positive?

I have attached a JPG of a screen capture of the information related to the above. JPG file is SuperAntiSpyware-Hupigon.jpg.

After having read about Backdoor Hupigon online, I am very concerned about this latest development.  All help appreciated!

post-40117-0-43012400-1422054106_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Guilty Spark.  I just now downloaded RKill (ver. 2.7.0.0.) and I will run it.  Meanwhile -- here is an addendum to my original post:

I have run Sophos Virus Removal, AVG 2015, Malware Anti-Malware and Emisisoft Emergency Kit.  NONE of these have reported the Backdoor.Hupigon/Variant.  My computer is not running slower and I have not had any noticible problems of any kind -- except for Super AntiSpyware finding and reporting Backdoor.Hupigon/Variant each time I run it.  :-0

RKill Ver. 2.7.0 found no problems.  Kaspersky tdsskiller.exe 3.0.9.44 - no threats found

So . . . I deleted Super AntiSpyware, restarted the computer, and it found new hardware - unknown, could not install  [No big deal - everything appears to be working okay.]   Next I downloaded and installed Super AntiSpyware 6.0.1168 Free Edition (again), ran a complete scan, and it did not find anything this time.  I can only conclude it was an anomaly?  However, I did notice other folks have had this same issue with Super AntiSpyware [when I searched in my search engine].

The deal with Rkill.com is most bizarre!  It was not on my desktop before, and when I did download it and run it (January 24th), it was put in a totally different location than the screen capture showed.  Very strange indeed. 

I ran a complete scan again today using SuperAntispyware and again it showed my computer being clean. 

You are so right about Windows XP.  I have been holding out for Windows 10, as I am not a fan of Windows 8 or 8.1 at all.  Thank you again for your help!

Originally it said it found rkill.com which is why I asked if it was on your desktop as Rkill will throw up FPs because of the way those stealth killers work. It may have been updated in the latest definitions of SAS but I don't know for sure.

Maybe it finally removed it on the re-boot.

Either way if everything came back clean then hopefully its gone.

I know a lot of people still run XP but you really are going to have more and more issues this year as more web sites go https meaning XPs certificates won't respond to site requests.