brispuss

Unable to Update Database and Definitions

Recently installed the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware (V 6.0.0.1168). Always get error messages when trying to update database/definitions via the program and the updates are not completed.

Updating will usually show some few percent downloaded before the download stops and error messages appear.

post-38985-0-86607600-1419031329_thumb.png

Running Windows 7 x64 SP1 and using dial-up internet connection, which means the connection is slow but is usually reliable.

Fortunately the updated definitions etc files are available as a seperate package which is downloaded fine via a download manager. But updating via the program is a problem!?

Would the dial-up connection be part of the problem?

Would the dial-up connection be part of the problem?

It's a possibility but hard to narrow down at this end.

Does it always happen each day or is it a one time localised issue? The reason being, it may be a server glitch which I'm not privy to that kind of info.

Tried updating definitions several times via the program over a period of 2 or 3 days, but still receive error message(s) after a few percent of downloading.

Although my dial-up connection is slow, it rarely cuts off, and I'm usually able to download very large files (MB) with no problem, although it will take awhile to complete the downloads.

Maybe a server issue with "Mirror 1"?

There are two possible cause for this issue:

1) Your dial-up connection sometimes causes connectivity problems/connections issue from the ISP.

2) Problem with the SAS Server.

I have broadband connection and I don't seem to have this issue.

If I may?  Add some to this issue, I am on High Speed and have had this issue off and one for the last week or two.  Now today it has come up again, and gets all the way to 99% and fails, not just once but three (3) times and needs to be restarted with Mirror 1.  Is there a method to access a different Mirror when this starts?  If so, please explain how to do this . .

If I may?  Add some to this issue, I am on High Speed and have had this issue off and one for the last week or two.  Now today it has come up again, and gets all the way to 99% and fails, not just once but three (3) times and needs to be restarted with Mirror 1.  Is there a method to access a different Mirror when this starts?  If so, please explain how to do this . .

Not sure about this as I was under the impression it auto chose the nearest server(mirror) to your IP.

If it happens again try downloading the updates and installing manually http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE whether or not this uses the same mirror I don't know.

Was in a hurry that day and did not read over what was posted, as you can tell my fingers are not very automatic, they have a mind of their own.

I meant to say, " the failures are automatically restarted at least three (3) times before the failure is stopped."  That day it happened about four (4) or five (5) times of the three automatic reattempts.  Will save that link for future issues.  It may do just that about the selecting the nearest Mirror, just that when it gets SUPER busy, many updates underway for that one server it should be able to transfer to the next nearest.

Thank YOU so very much for at least giving me that link for manual downloads . .

Not sure about this as I was under the impression it auto chose the nearest server(mirror) to your IP.

If it happens again try downloading the updates and installing manually http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE whether or not this uses the same mirror I don't know.

"GS,"

This is getting to be a pain and very strange.  The last 3-4 days have had this error of the Mirror-1 several times AND the link you provided worked the first time just fine the next 2 or 3 presented Corrupted files when clicking the executable and required another download.  This morn the regular update to Mirror-1 crashed, used the link by Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V to my browser and the download was a very strange file title woithout an extension and ZERO size.  Returned here and clicked on the link and the file was downloaded agin and when clicking on the executable, agin, corrupted file as reported by Windows.  Am about to attempt that one more time when finished with this.  NOT complaining, just reporting what is happening from this side.  Also still have the last corrupted file here it anyone there would like me to send it, it is available yet.

Thank you for reading my post . . .

Try uninstalling SAS via add/remove and do a manual restart. After that use SuperAntiSpyware removal tool in safe mode. Recently SAS released a new version. Version number 6.0.1170. Install the new version and after install do another manual restart.

Greetings from the GREAT country of TEXAS,

Have the latest update of SAS done just yesterday and have six (6) Failures of updating the database.   One download the other day errored out from link given me by "Guilty Sparks" later worked just fine.  Will attempt the link from "GS" after this post.

Just completed the download from the link given by "GS" that errored out, see below:

" The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application even log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I do not have that tool "sxstrace.exe" on my system, where might I fine a copy?

The only log found in C:\ProgramData\SuperAntiSpyware\AppLogs for this date is 'SUPERANTISPYWARE-1-28-2015( 7-3-20 ).SDB' and cannot read what is within there. It is only a 15KB file, should I attach here?

The above post, Edited by me to include the only file within the SuperAntiSpyware ProgramData folder using the "Full Editor" and got a message that FLashPlayer was busy, I had not started that file then the full editor came up and attached that file with the long title ending in .SDB and do not see an attachment in my message.  There are some very strange things occurring here this morning.

I think its a server issue, all day I've had bad connection to the forums, couldn't access them properly, just about got an update through earlier but it was taking its time to finish. Seems to have calmed down a bit now for me at least.

" GuiltySpark,"

This is still going on with this issue, after nine (9) attempts on number ten (10) it finally completed.  Six (6) were done through the SAS program without any error report just FAILURE shown.  All nine (9) were at the 99% point when falures occurred.  Did three (3) failures with the link you provided that FAILED with error code "ID 021" if that can be of any assistance.  WIth file sizes of 15204kb twice (2) one at 15202kb then completed one file size of 15205kb.  That is all that I can provide except it has happened many times over the last several days as I keep attempting to complete the download for updates.

Thank you for reading my message . .

Hi LxCi

Can you create a CS ticket HERE and quote/link to this post as I think this is going to be one of those issues where a SASCS are going to need to diagnose, I have no idea about what those ID codes mean within SAS maybe there is an answer in the Event Viewer.

Thanks.

"GuiltySparks,"

Just managed to get this placed in the support section, assigned CSR00137296  and it is now only doing two (2) failures instead of the three (3).  Do not recall if posing  the mirror site, (Mirror 1) now we will see what happens.

Thank you so very much for your attempt to provide some assistance . .

This Morning alone there have been twelve (12) failures before completion, this evening there were eight (8) failures before completing.  Neglected to put this in earlier.

GuiltySpark,

Do NOT know because it is not giving any errors.  Just failures many times . . at it stands at this time telling me there is NOT an update available.  Did use the link you had so graciously provided and did my update that way.  AND where it always ran three (3) times with failures before STOPPING it is now doing only two (2).  IF you like will take a screen-shot the next update.  Let me know, please or will not do this . .

Has Customer Service contacted you since you created the support ticket?

Yea if you can post a screenshot it may help also a little background on other security programs running and a shot of the processes in Task Manager.

GuiltySpark,

With this being Sunday have not had an update today, may need to wait until tomorrow, Monday to collect this information.

NO, have not heard any thing, er, read any message from them except the acknowledgement of the receipt of my request yesterday.

All security software on my system has been here for a number of years working just fine together with SAS Free, this actually started back before Thanks Giving last year.  Not very often by Christmas time was getting to be a hassle,  I do some troubleshooting of computers for friends and have been rather busy on the run.  Will get to this ASAP!

Thank you for your information and a thank you to the Support Team for at least looking into my issue . .

Later . . .

"GuiltySpark,"

MY issue has been resolved by SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Service by informing me it had to be a FIREWALL issue, I use Microsoft FIREWALL and checked.  Listed 'SUPERAntiSpyware.exe' and just below that entry was "UPDATE" which I had 'assumed' was for 'SUPERAntiSpyware,' "WRONG" after checking it was for some software that had been removed.  Made the CHANGE and now it works just fine.  The following is my reply to them plus clicked the RadioButton to close that TICKET!

"Excuse me, PLEASE?
SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Service,

Within my Windows FireWall there was a listing for SUPERAntiSpyware.exe AND just below that was UPDATE without an indication as to what was to be updated, I assumed it was SUPERAntiSpyware.  Checked and it was for a program that had been removed.  Situation has been updated to the correct settings.

Sorry to have bothered you with an issue of my own, as that word spells "ass u me", do not need any HELP to do said to myself, THANK YOU VERY MUCHLY for correcting my problem for me . .
TIA CU L8R,
'd' (LxCi)"