Sign in to follow this  
mikew_nt

PUP's now getting flagged in Scheduled (automated) Scan

It appears the handling of PUPs in scheduled scans changed last night.

This morning both my Mom's and my son's overnight scheduled SAS scans were filled with detections of PUP ask toolbar.

These did not previously get flagged.

My son tells me that on the manual scans in the past, ask toolbar would get flagged as a PUP.  And I can see an option to detect or not PUPs in pre-scan on manual scans

However, I can not find a similar option in the scheduled scan.  Nor, as I mention above, did they previously get flagged in automated scans.

It appears the program behavior has changed.  I have not tested to see if the manual scan PUP option also coincidentally affects the scheduled scan, so it may be a workaround, but would not be a real solution.

Will the definitions be fixed so that PUPs no longer get flagged during scheduled scans once again?

Or will an option be added to scheduled scan configuration?  If so, I think default should be 'no' since that seems to be the previous program behavior.

Anybody else seeing this?

Hi mikew_nt

PUP's should always be detected as long as they are in the definition database, to allow these programs to run is to open your system up to bigger and more nasty forms of malware.

As to the behaviour option, I'm sure if you ask about it under the "Suggestions" category a member of SAS will be able to answer.

I think my concern is that the behavior changed overnight for SCHEDULED scanning.

Nothing was installed on either computer in the previous day. 

One computer is here at our house, one is at my Mom's.  Both successfully scanned two days before without the PUP's being indicated.  Then last night on both computers it appeared for the first time.

While I'm no fan of Ask, or how easily you can forget to un-check it when installing Java, I don't know why overnight it would have gone from something that did not result in a failed scan to one that does.

Having two computers in two different locations with neither having had anything installed recently all of a sudden change the scan behavior overnight tells me something in SAS changed.

Can somebody from SAS please comment?

Given that there were no engine updates, I'm sure it was a definition file update that did it.

The question is: is that a mistake in the update that they are now causing a scan failure.....  I'm interested to hear from SAS.

The other interesting thing is.... I understand SAS is now offering up a free Ask.com toolbar installation on their free product (mine is registered of course).

Not sure why SAS would be failing a scan on something SAS offers alongside their installation....

Hello mikew_nt,

SAS has two ways of detecting unwanted programs - through the Uninstall Unwanted Programs menu and also during a scan. We recently added many unwanted program traces to the standard scanning database that had only been in the unwanted programs database. The actual behavior of the program did not change.

The unwanted items detected during a scan should not be removed automatically. I will talk with the engineering team about the possibility of adding some sort of "Do not flag adware during scheduled scan" option.

As far as Ask Toolbar goes, we do detect it as a potentially unwanted program. The direct download from our site does not contain Ask Toolbar as an optional offer, and I would suggest downloading directly from us: https://www.superantispyware.com/download.html

Gabe Burch

Primary Malware Researcher

SUPERAntiSpyware