Sign in to follow this  
wittmann

SafeSearch Browser Highjacker

See - http://www.ehow.com/how_7424928_remove-safe-search.html

I use Chrome as my default browser and have had no problems, but when I checked my Firefox, the Homepage had been changed from Google to SafeSearch.

I have frequently scanned my PC with SAS and it has found nothing to do with any of the Safesearch data listed in the link.

To follow the removal instructions in the link looks very tedious and one would  expect an AV/malware program to do this as part of its routine detection.

Question 1

Does SAS detect SafeSearch as browser highjacking malware ?

Question 2

If YES to question 1, why has it not detected this highjacker on my PC and prevented it from changing the Firefox Homepage ?

Question 3

If NO to question 1, then why not ?

What use is it placing questions on this Forum when nobody comments or answers them ? Not a lot.

Just for all your information, repeated scans by SAS revealed nothing, yet a serious known malware and virus merchant called Softonic had infected my PC via Firefox so badly that the Homepage at startup was changed to display complete rubbish.

Well here is the answer :-

Never mind wasting your time with SAS, use MBAM to clean your system.  After several scans, MBAM found 152 PUP`s plus a few other threats, including that scourge of the Internet Softonic, who had inserted a file into my Firefox profile  folder, which activated on browser opening. I quarantined the lot and later deleted all of them, including Softonic`s illegal profile tampering.

When I did a final scan with MBAM, it was perfectly clean and my Firefox is now back to normal with Google as my Homepage at startup. I now see nothing wrong anywhere on my PC thanks to MBAM..

Hope you all enjoyed that.

I enjoyed it.

However, if you bothered to submit the file(s) in question the team may have been able to respond with updated definition files to remove the problem they cannot mind read what YOU have done to your system.

See I can rant as well.

See - http://www.ehow.com/how_7424928_remove-safe-search.html

I use Chrome as my default browser and have had no problems, but when I checked my Firefox, the Homepage had been changed from Google to SafeSearch.

I have frequently scanned my PC with SAS and it has found nothing to do with any of the Safesearch data listed in the link.

To follow the removal instructions in the link looks very tedious and one would  expect an AV/malware program to do this as part of its routine detection.

Question 1

Does SAS detect SafeSearch as browser highjacking malware ?

Question 2

If YES to question 1, why has it not detected this highjacker on my PC and prevented it from changing the Firefox Homepage ?

Question 3

If NO to question 1, then why not ?

I recommend you download MalwareBytes,HitmanPro,Emsisoft Emergency Kit,and AdwCleaner to scan your PC, and remember no single software will able detect anything that is why other people install on demand scanner tools such as malwarebytes and hitmanpro to check and made sure their main antivirus doesn't miss detect anything. Also for your situation i believe all the tools i listed will able to remove this hijacker browser and you won't know it until you ran the scan.

It would be nice if somebody had answered my simple 3 questions, but alas it is not to be.

My point  which obviously nobody has cared to digest is that SAS never picked up anything and yet my PC was infected by Softonic, SafeSearch, Smartbar, Snap.do, Bubble.dock and a few other nasties. NO, it was not a wreck or the result of my negligence, it was simply that these nasties had crept through my security when I had to access the Internet without using Sandboxiie for specific reasons and had been there for many months, undetected and none of my malware programs had ever found them, including SAS.

Softonic ( a notorious malware and virus source) had crept into my Firefox profile folder and inserted a bug which hijacked the startpage, besides placing a whole load of PUP`s on my PC.

SAS was no use at all.  But my salvation arrived in the form of MBAM, which picked up 152 PUP`s and enabled me to track down the Firefox profile bug and delete it. After  few final check scans with MBAM, my machine is now as clean as a whistle with no infections at all shown by either MBAM or any of my other malware programs, including SAS.

So all is well that  ends well, thanks to MBAM and no thanks at all to SAS and the other programs I have, including AVG 2015 my main online AV program.

Oh - just a small clarification for the benefit of the kind person who accused me of ranting. Here it is :-

When a  descriptive, intelligent  and perhaps technical  script is not fully understood by a much lesser intelligent individual, then the best they can often do is accuse the writer of ranting. It is a form of capitulation  expression used by those not so intellectually blessed as others. Ah well, as we know, all men are not equal unfortunately.

I very much doubt if that kind person will understand a word of this post either.

I don't understand a word your saying but I guess that's how us 'lesser intelligent' folk are ;), so I suppose I'll just go back to sitting on my rock gnawing a bone, but hey, at least my systems not infected by my wrong doing.

Yep that's right I said wrong doing and the reason being PUP's don't just attack a computer at random they are installed from other program installs, so unless you let others use your system then you would indeed be to blame.

Ever heard the word PICNIC?

I don't understand a word your saying but I guess that's how us 'lesser intelligent' folk are ;), so I suppose I'll just go back to sitting on my rock gnawing a bone, but hey, at least my systems not infected by my wrong doing.

Yep that's right I said wrong doing and the reason being PUP's don't just attack a computer at random they are installed from other program installs, so unless you let others use your system then you would indeed be to blame.

Ever heard the word PICNIC?

TEE-HEE that`s quite funny.

But you see, you are sitting on your rock far too interested in that bone you are gnawing at instead of paying attention to my ranting.

I understand how PUP`s get in, but none of us are perfect, I hang my head in shame.

Oh yes, back to my point or rather the point you have missed - I may be guilty of letting all these yapping PUP`s into my system and create chaos, but SAS, our great malware defender of all that is good, the bad man`s bad news, never even sniffed any of this herd of PUP`s. So whilst I, a mere mortal am obviously guilty of gross negligence, SAS even is worse - it is of no practical value whatsoever. It would not know a PUP from a POP..

Thank the Lord for MBAM.

I'm sure a member of the team will be able to respond with the as and why's of the definition files but as I'm sure you are aware not one single program can find/detect/remove everything which is why we have so many options to go to ( we all do it ) such is the need.

But going back to the original post, did you use the Unwanted Programs section of SAS or just run a scan (purely of interest as you didn't state which)?

It would be nice if somebody had answered my simple 3 questions, but alas it is not to be.

My point  which obviously nobody has cared to digest is that SAS never picked up anything and yet my PC was infected by Softonic, SafeSearch, Smartbar, Snap.do, Bubble.dock and a few other nasties. NO, it was not a wreck or the result of my negligence, it was simply that these nasties had crept through my security when I had to access the Internet without using Sandboxiie for specific reasons and had been there for many months, undetected and none of my malware programs had ever found them, including SAS.

Softonic ( a notorious malware and virus source) had crept into my Firefox profile folder and inserted a bug which hijacked the startpage, besides placing a whole load of PUP`s on my PC.

SAS was no use at all.  But my salvation arrived in the form of MBAM, which picked up 152 PUP`s and enabled me to track down the Firefox profile bug and delete it. After  few final check scans with MBAM, my machine is now as clean as a whistle with no infections at all shown by either MBAM or any of my other malware programs, including SAS.

So all is well that  ends well, thanks to MBAM and no thanks at all to SAS and the other programs I have, including AVG 2015 my main online AV program.

Oh - just a small clarification for the benefit of the kind person who accused me of ranting. Here it is :-

When a  descriptive, intelligent  and perhaps technical  script is not fully understood by a much lesser intelligent individual, then the best they can often do is accuse the writer of ranting. It is a form of capitulation  expression used by those not so intellectually blessed as others. Ah well, as we know, all men are not equal unfortunately.

I very much doubt if that kind person will understand a word of this post either.

Okay, let me guess you download PUPs application and then you came here to complain SAS not able to detect PUPs? Have you check scan for unwanted programs when you perform a scan? Matter of fact, AVG should prevent PUPs get on your system when you runs the downloader. Avast can detect PUPs so my best guess is to uninstall AVG and get AVAST 2015 free. Also for your cleaning removal, 152 PUPs is a lot and some of them might contains spyware that you don't even know, so i recommends you to download AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency kit, and HitmanPro to check up on your system. Just a little side not, AVG have a symptom that let users install malicious software and then detect them, and that's why i recommend you install AVAST because AVASt unlike AVG that can detect malicious and unwanted software when you click "download" or "installing" button from the site or when you click save or run.

I'm sure a member of the team will be able to respond with the as and why's of the definition files but as I'm sure you are aware not one single program can find/detect/remove everything which is why we have so many options to go to ( we all do it ) such is the need.

But going back to the original post, did you use the Unwanted Programs section of SAS or just run a scan (purely of interest as you didn't state which)?

I used SAS`s PUP detector option and it found nothing. Up until now I have used SAS regularly as a manual scanner, bearing in mind that nothing gets past Sandboxie unless I let it and OK, none of us are infallible, so downloads I can only trust in the absence of  any suspicion can contain crap that is not  easy to detect. We all do it, not just me.

I trusted Softonic but after finding they had soaked my system with crap, including an illegal entry in my Firefox profile, I nw regard them as nothing more than a malware  and hijacking organisation.

Anyhow, mainly due to MBAM, the party is over and my system is now clean. The rest is history.

Okay, let me guess you download PUPs application and then you came here to complain SAS not able to detect PUPs? Have you check scan for unwanted programs when you perform a scan? Matter of fact, AVG should prevent PUPs get on your system when you runs the downloader. Avast can detect PUPs so my best guess is to uninstall AVG and get AVAST 2015 free. Also for your cleaning removal, 152 PUPs is a lot and some of them might contains spyware that you don't even know, so i recommends you to download AdwCleaner, Emsisoft Emergency kit, and HitmanPro to check up on your system. Just a little side not, AVG have a symptom that let users install malicious software and then detect them, and that's why i recommend you install AVAST because AVASt unlike AVG that can detect malicious and unwanted software when you click "download" or "installing" button from the site or when you click save or run.

My dear MLTP,

I have SAS of course, SpywareBlaster, AVG 2015, Emisisoft Emergency Kit, Eset, TDSSKiller, MBAM and WinPatrol - I don`t want any more useless AV/Malware programs, thank you very much. None of these fantastic programs even sniffed a PUP or infection except MBAM which copped the lot in one foul swoop.

Like I have just said, the party is over, my system is now clean and I have nothing more to either learn or say about this wretched business. One thing I have learnt is that none of the programs you mention or which I have already got except MBAM are any use against PUP`s. I tried Hitman Pro some months ago and  found it a complete waste of space.

The matter is now closed on my part, but one thing I would  finally say is that if a malware program has an option to detect PUP`s then it should detect them. What MBAM can do with outstanding perfection, every other program can  do.

I thank you all for your comments and dearly hope that SAS will now adjust their program to do a much better job in terms of PUP detection.

It has all been a surprising experience after 12 years plonking the keys to find out exactly what all these credible and popular malware programs do not pick up. Over that long period, you name it  and I`ve seen it, smelt it and felt it, but none of us ever stop learning. Obviously, MBAM will now become Teachers Pet in view of its marvellous performance. Thank you all for coming to the party. Until we meet again, Auf Wiedersehen.

My dear MLTP,

I have SAS of course, SpywareBlaster, AVG 2015, Emisisoft Emergency Kit, Eset, TDSSKiller, MBAM and WinPatrol - I don`t want any more useless AV/Malware programs, thank you very much. None of these fantastic programs even sniffed a PUP or infection except MBAM which copped the lot in one foul swoop.

Like I have just said, the party is over, my system is now clean and I have nothing more to either learn or say about this wretched business. One thing I have learnt is that none of the programs you mention or which I have already got except MBAM are any use against PUP`s. I tried Hitman Pro some months ago and  found it a complete waste of space.

The matter is now closed on my part, but one thing I would  finally say is that if a malware program has an option to detect PUP`s then it should detect them. What MBAM can do with outstanding perfection, every other program can  do.

I thank you all for your comments and dearly hope that SAS will now adjust their program to do a much better job in terms of PUP detection.

It has all been a surprising experience after 12 years plonking the keys to find out exactly what all these credible and popular malware programs do not pick up. Over that long period, you name it  and I`ve seen it, smelt it and felt it, but none of us ever stop learning. Obviously, MBAM will now become Teachers Pet in view of its marvellous performance. Thank you all for coming to the party. Until we meet again, Auf Wiedersehen.

Good to hear you got your computer back up and running! For your security purposes i highly recommends Emsisoft Anti-Malware for your antivirus because this software detects 98% - 99% and being rated as advanced+ on AV Comparative testing lab organization and somehow is managed to beat Kaspersky and Bitdefender which is shocked me as well. Unfortunately, this software is paid version and is only cost $40 for 1 year and you can choose two different versions which is antivirus or internet security suite and both of them cost the same price!. Just a little side note that Emsisoft is dual scanner engines, one of them is Emsisoft Anti-Malware engine which is superior than MalwareBytes engine, and the other is Bitdefender Antivirus engine, so that will lock you down for sure.