Sign in to follow this  
Geo123

2 anti virus programmes

I have recently purchased/installed SuperAntiSpyware Pro version. What is the recommended status for Windows Defender/Firewall?

Install a different free antivirus i.e. AVG, Avast, or etc that you wish to pay for such as Norton or Kaspersky. Up to you. Windows Defender has a very poor detection rating. Windows firewall is good enough. If you want antivirus with firewall such as Norton Security you go for that up to you. Superantispyware Pro runs perfect with any antivirus programs.

You should also install MalwareBytes' Antimalware Free Edition. It is an excellent antimalware protection. Just remember no antivirus program has 100% detection rating.

Turn off Windows defender and get AVAST FREE Antivirus, also I recommend run AVAST with real time protection as for SAS I use free version for on demand scan because if one missed catch then the other one will able to catch it. Using more than 1 antivirus with real time protection enable will cause system conflict because each one of them fighting over to see who is going to perform this action and they will use a lot of system resources. Also here is the quote from Bleepingcomputer.com. If you use SAS as on demand scan I recommend you download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as well.

"Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular combination that works well for one person may not work as well for another. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. You may need to experiment and find what is most suitable for your needs. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use paid for products or free alternatives.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing."

I get this quote from bleeping computer thread >>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311606/is-it-a-good-idea-to-run-avast-and-malwarebytes-real-time-protection-at-the-same-time/

I take something back. Install Avast Free Edition don't install AVG Free. Both are considered good but for me Avast Free is the "BEST" :). I have been using Avast Free since the 1st release of Avast 7 now I am still using it. It has never let me down and protection is awesome and it's very lightweight on system resources. The current antivirus software that you have installed before installing Avast download and run the uninstaller tool/removal tool of your current antivirus in windows Safe mode. After that download and install Avast after installation it will do a quick start up scan. Once that is done restart your computer manually and register your new copy of avast. Registration is required once every year + I recommended you to register to Avast Forum. It is free and support is excellent. 

I take something back. Install Avast Free Edition don't install AVG Free. Both are considered good but for me Avast Free is the "BEST" :). I have been using Avast Free since the 1st release of Avast 7 now I am still using it. It has never let me down and protection is awesome and it's very lightweight on system resources. The current antivirus software that you have installed before installing Avast download and run the uninstaller tool/removal tool of your current antivirus in windows Safe mode. After that download and install Avast after installation it will do a quick start up scan. Once that is done restart your computer manually and register your new copy of avast. Registration is required once every year + I recommended you to register to Avast Forum. It is free and support is excellent. 

I have Avast! Pro Antivirus(Real time protection enable) + MalwareBytes Antimalware FREE(on demand scan) + SAS FREE(On demand scan). Also @bigfan_24 You can't uninstall Windows Defender because is part of Microsoft built in security tools.

I didn't say anything about uninstalling Windows Defender. Antivirus installation disables WD