alicez

Short C scan

I have SAS 6 and did a scan of my C drive on my Win7 64-bit computer and it only took only 22 minutes. My other scan programs take around one hour to scan C drive. Why does SAS take such a short time?

I hope you can see one of the following images:

2ly1rhj.jpg

There've been quite a few optimizations with 6.0.

We're analyzing portions of files without reading the entire file data; reducing (sometimes drastically) the number of bytes read off the disk - this is usually is the biggest bottleneck for scan times.  There's also a new whitelisting system (which the System Investigator also uses) to avoid scanning files we have confirmed are legit.

Was this a Quick Scan or a Complete Scan etc?

SAS6 has been improved in terms of scanning speed, new engine, way of scanning etc.

I did a Custom scan of the C: on my Win7 computer which has quite a lot of files on it.

What us the latest version? I have 6.0.1130

I did a Custom scan of the C: on my Win7 computer which has quite a lot of files on it.

What us the latest version? I have 6.0.1130

That's the current version; it's always listed on our home page if you're ever curious.

- Dave

Thank you. I noitce when I go to "Scan Logs," there is no record of the scan I did. Shouldn't that scan be listed there?

Yes, unless you've disabled the option to save clean scan logs, the results of all scans should be listed there.

Yes, unless you've disabled the option to save clean scan logs, the results of all scans should be listed there.

No, the option to save logs is not disabled.

I just did anther scan on this Win7 and this time dd a Complete scan and it took just 12 minutes. Which I think is quite a short time and wonder if it is actually doing a COMPLETE scan (which takes much longer than my other Malware program's full scan.

There was a copy of this scan in the Scan Log.

I did a Custom scan of C: drive on my Vista notebook (which doesn't have as many 'files' as the Win7) and that scan took 26 minutes; so I don't know what is going on with the scans.

I think I will have to think about keeping this SAS on these two computers if it is not doing a 'complete' scan each time.

No, the option to save logs is not disabled.

I just did anther scan on this Win7 and this time dd a Complete scan and it took just 12 minutes. Which I think is quite a short time and wonder if it is actually doing a COMPLETE scan (which takes much longer than my other Malware program's full scan.

There was a copy of this scan in the Scan Log.

I did a Custom scan of C: drive on my Vista notebook (which doesn't have as many 'files' as the Win7) and that scan took 26 minutes; so I don't know what is going on with the scans.

I think I will have to think about keeping this SAS on these two computers if it is not doing a 'complete' scan each time.

If there is only one drive on the PC, there is almost no functional difference between a complete scan and a custom scan, assuming the custom scan has all of the options enabled and the root drive is in the custom folder list.  There is an option that will skip files that have not been modified in the last X days, which greatly increases scan times; perhaps that is enabled?  You could always check the number of file objects scanned and compare against the various scan modes (or other security products).  I'd be interested to know if there is a significant difference.

The Quick Scan option is really quite effective at finding anything that's active on the system, as it looks at places that are either running or configured to run on the PC.  Complete scans are generally used to clean up dormant parts or junk after the infection has been stopped.  Custom scan is really just used for troubleshooting or specific needs.  In addition to scanning, SAS 6.0 also has a new system investigator tool, which is a scan of sorts, but works in a more manual/informational way; you may be interested in that too!

I hope that information is helpful!