wittmann

Homepage Protection ?

I have had SAS Free for quite some time and have just updated it to version 6.0.1108. The new look is fantastic.

Also, I use SAS very often for manual sweeper scans to see if anything has got past Sandboxie or crept in when i have had to use an unsandboxed browser. It always comes up clean.

This is the bad news :-

Homepage Hijack Protection ? What protection ? It`s a joke.

SAS is living 30 years out of date, when everybody could only use IE because alternatives were non-existent. Nowadays there are several very popular browsers and many other alternatives. Your so called HP protection applies only to IE, an ancient browser that is struggling to find users.

These are the BIG three,  Google Chrome, Firefox and then IE.

Like many users, I have Chrome as my default browser with Firefox as alternative. IE is on my machine as a Windows legacy. I never use it and all it means to me is an unused icon on my desktop.

So what use is the SAS Homepage protection to me ? Absolutely none. The facility is a waste of time. It is my default browser Homepage that I need protecting, not some unused old browser that is never used. I don`t care if Donald Duck hijacks my IE Homepage.

I suggest that SAS modify their program to protect the default browser Homepage or to protect whatever URL is entered in the Homepage protection box, regardless of browser.

Well, having said that the Homepage protection of SAS is a total waste of time, I sincerely state that SAS in my opinion is a superb anti-malware program, second to none.

I have had SAS Free for quite some time and have just updated it to version 6.0.1108. The new look is fantastic.

Also, I use SAS very often for manual sweeper scans to see if anything has got past Sandboxie or crept in when i have had to use an unsandboxed browser. It always comes up clean.

This is the bad news :-

Homepage Hijack Protection ? What protection ? It`s a joke.

SAS is living 30 years out of date, when everybody could only use IE because alternatives were non-existent. Nowadays there are several very popular browsers and many other alternatives. Your so called HP protection applies only to IE, an ancient browser that is struggling to find users.

These are the BIG three,  Google Chrome, Firefox and then IE.

Like many users, I have Chrome as my default browser with Firefox as alternative. IE is on my machine as a Windows legacy. I never use it and all it means to me is an unused icon on my desktop.

So what use is the SAS Homepage protection to me ? Absolutely none. The facility is a waste of time. It is my default browser Homepage that I need protecting, not some unused old browser that is never used. I don`t care if Donald Duck hijacks my IE Homepage.

I suggest that SAS modify their program to protect the default browser Homepage or to protect whatever URL is entered in the Homepage protection box, regardless of browser.

Well, having said that the Homepage protection of SAS is a total waste of time, I sincerely state that SAS in my opinion is a superb anti-malware program, second to none.

Actually Netscape browser was the first Internet browser.  It debuted 20 years ago in 1994.  The first release of Internet Explorer was one year later in 1995.   In fact I rarely have every used Internet Explorer.  I started with Netscape and switched to Firefox shortly after it came out ten years ago in 2004.   Homepage protection has worked for me in Firefox in the past. 

Actually Netscape browser was the first Internet browser.  It debuted 20 years ago in 1994.  The first release of Internet Explorer was one year later in 1995.   In fact I rarely have every used Internet Explorer.  I started with Netscape and switched to Firefox shortly after it came out ten years ago in 2004.   Homepage protection has worked for me in Firefox in the past. 

Can you explain that ? 

I have Chrome and Firefox and I can change their Homepages all day without SAS even noticing. But when I change the IE Homepage, SAS soon puts up an alert. How  come your Homepage in Firefox is protected and not mine ?

My SAS is categorically totally devoted to IE  and nothing else.

Can you explain that ? 

I have Chrome and Firefox and I can change their Homepages all day without SAS even noticing. But when I change the IE Homepage, SAS soon puts up an alert. How  come your Homepage in Firefox is protected and not mine ?

My SAS is categorically totally devoted to IE  and nothing else.

All I can tell you is in the past when malware has attempted to change my homepage in Firefox SAS has given me a warning message and asked if I wanted to change the homepage.   I have never had a problem with SAS when I manually change the homepage in Firefox which I have done but rarely do. 

As I said I rarely use IE and I do not use Chrome.  I think I have changed the homepage in IE once about six months ago when I was still using ASC Pro and its homepage protection.  I don't recall If I was using Home Protection in SAS at the time.  I may have stopped using it when ASC Pro added homepage protection.  I no longer use ASC Pro or any IObit products except for their Driver updater which is pretty good.  I repaced ASC Pro with Wise Care 365 Pro.  A lot lighter on resource usage and appears to be effective enough without doing to much.

Notes

1.  Firefox is my default browser on my W8.1 Updated and W7-SP1 computers.

2.  My homepage is https://startpage.com/  No trackers, unlike the Google or Bing startpages.  I have been using https://startpage.com/ on all my computers for about six months and have never had any malware problems including homepage hijacking with it.  However, if you or anyone else decides to swich to it after reading this post you do so at your own risk.  Just the typical disclaimer.

@ Buddahfan

Your explanation is convincing, but I am astounded why I can play games with my Firefox and Chrome without SAS bothering to even notice. When I tried to change the homepage URL on SAS, I got a panel up saying that somebody was attempting to change my Homepage on IE ! I have a different Homepage for Chrome, Firefox and IE, but the URL change only referred to IE by an actual panel statement.

Until I get specific  evidence that SAS protects other browsers than IE, all my comments stand..

We will have to wait until other members post comments.

Maybe if you have the same Homepage for alternative browsers as IE, it "appears" to  work, simply because SAS detects any change to the common Homepage URL  is an IE change, although it may be  Firefox that is being tampered with. Different Homepages for each browser, obviously puts SAS on the blink and it only rings a bell when IE is changed.

Adjusting a program to  detect a default browser is common play, many do this, but you may have to include a configure  selection box to tell the program which browser is the default. Simple beans, Sandboxie is one program that detects a default browser as routine.

PS - I have just changed Firefox Homepage again - no alert given by SAS.

All I have said is proven to be true. SAS = IE Homepage only.

Not worth paying for a one horse race.

WinPatrol - the little Scottie dog, is also totally devoted to IE and ignores all other browsers.

I have yet to find a program that protects the Homepage of alternative browsers. Why the geriatric IE gets all  the attention, is beyond my comprehension.

I don't disagree with you.  Homepage protection has always been just a little bonus feature, and hasn't been updated in many years (back when IE was the overwhelming majority of our users).  That being said, it is our plan to revamp it, but it didn't fit into the 6.0 development schedule.

Something to consider though; if malware changes your homepage, generally it changes it for all browsers on your system.  This lets the Internet Explorer hijack protection at least alert you to the fact that something is making changes to your system.  I know it's not a perfect solution, we will support more browsers as soon as we can.

I don't disagree with you.  Homepage protection has always been just a little bonus feature, and hasn't been updated in many years (back when IE was the overwhelming majority of our users).  That being said, it is our plan to revamp it, but it didn't fit into the 6.0 development schedule.

Something to consider though; if malware changes your homepage, generally it changes it for all browsers on your system.  This lets the Internet Explorer hijack protection at least alert you to the fact that something is making changes to your system.  I know it's not a perfect solution, we will support more browsers as soon as we can.

Thanks Dave for those kind and understanding words.

I knew after much messing around on the web and playing hijacker with my own system, that SAS and all similar Homepage hijack protection programs are 40 years out of date by their singular inclusion of IE, as a legacy from their historic glory days.

OK, it is a very good point that if SAS puts up an alert panel when the IE Homepage is being tampered with, then you know the Bogey Man is about and you can  then check your other browsers to see if they are still OK. By the  way, the little Scottie of WinPatrol also barks and puts up an alert panel when IE is being changed. So I get both a SAS and a Scottie panel.

But Dave, a change to my IE browser does not affect either Chrome or Firefox at all - they do not all change to the same Homepage as the new IE page. I have done this many times and both Chrome and Firefox stay put.

A final word Dave, look on the bright side - almost all similar programs, some of them very well known and highly popular, still use IE with a declining global market share of 12-23 % as their reference browser, regardless of Chrome having a rapidly growing market share of 39-49 %  with Firefox having a share of 17-20 % and probably growing. Perhaps they still have time to spend a few bucks and devote some resources on modernizing their programs before it is too late.

Thank you for your  comments

Wittmann

Thanks Dave for those kind and understanding words.

I knew after much messing around on the web and playing hijacker with my own system, that SAS and all similar Homepage hijack protection programs are 40 years out of date by their singular inclusion of IE, as a legacy from their historic glory days.

OK, it is a very good point that if SAS puts up an alert panel when the IE Homepage is being tampered with, then you know the Bogey Man is about and you can  then check your other browsers to see if they are still OK. By the  way, the little Scottie of WinPatrol also barks and puts up an alert panel when IE is being changed. So I get both a SAS and a Scottie panel.

But Dave, a change to my IE browser does not affect either Chrome or Firefox at all - they do not all change to the same Homepage as the new IE page. I have done this many times and both Chrome and Firefox stay put.

A final word Dave, look on the bright side - almost all similar programs, some of them very well known and highly popular, still use IE with a declining global market share of 12-23 % as their reference browser, regardless of Chrome having a rapidly growing market share of 39-49 %  with Firefox having a share of 17-20 % and probably growing. Perhaps they still have time to spend a few bucks and devote some resources on modernizing their programs before it is too late.

Thank you for your  comments

Wittmann

I think your numbers above may be a bit off.  Just saying.

P.S. There were no browsers 40 years ago.

Please do not throw numbes at the wall.  Thank you

I think your numbers above may be a bit off.  Just saying.

P.S. There were no browsers 40 years ago.

Please do not throw numbes at the wall.  Thank you

Keep to the subject and forget whether there was only one or no browsers years ago. Never mind the numbers, they are only guide lines of conversation to emphasize the issue, not legal statements We are not discussing a history lesson of browser evolution.

To  ease your concern with my highly exaggerated and obviously inaccurate comments, I will humble myself and correct my dreadful error - how about  20 years ago - OOPS ! I am so sorry, perhaps it is only 19 years ago to be precise..

Just face the fact that SAS is 2 decades behind the times in using IE as a basic browser. See if you can come up with some constructive and informative comments on that and we may get somewhere.

Finally, here are some more numbers thrown at the wall - with Chrome having a rapidly growing 39-49 % global market share, why waste time in having the ancient IE - a rapidly declining market browser - as the corner stone of  your bread winning program ? 

It is not beyond the artistry of programmers to use the default browser for Homepage protection. Some programs already do use default browsers as their reference. Identify the default browser from the Windows system, locate the Homepage, then lock it.