rfharbin

Update to SuperAntiSpyware6 Pro messes up

I tried to update to SUPERAntiSpyware Pro 6 this morning and although System Explorer shows that I have SAScore.exe running I cannot get a GUI for the program nor are there any Help files. When I click on "Start; All Programs; Help" all I get is a small window telling me that there is no file.  Clicking on SUPERAntiSpyware Alternate Start does not bring up the GUI either.

I have Win7-64 HP.

I downloaded another copy of the installer and it did the same thing.  I uninstalled the program before installing the new copy.  Each time I shut down all programs before uninstalling or installing the program. I also deleted the "Program Files; SUPERAntiSpyware" folder each time.  I use Wise Program Uninstaller and it cleans out the registry and looks for any other parts of the program as does CCleaner. 

I looked in your FAQ's and followed the instructions as per the following...  http://superantspyiware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=71 and it gave me version five back.

Any helpful ideas as to how I can get version six?

I had what appears to be a similar problem when I did one of the updates about a week ago to SAS Pro 6.  Neither the GUI nor SUPERAntispyware.exe showed up after I ran the installer.  As I recall I did a restart and everything was fine.  Your problem however, may be different.

I did not uninstall the old version first but let the installer do it.  However, before the installer installed the new version I did delete the SAS folder.

You could try reinstalling the old version and see if you can get that to run.   If you can then follow these steps.

1.  Exit SAS by right clicking the icon on the Taskbar in the Notification area

2.  Run the new installer but do not click through on  Iinstall'   When you get to Install delete the SAS folder then click Install.  You may need to restart you computer if the SAS icon does not appear in the Taskbar Notification area.

Disclaimer.  I am just a user and do not represent SAS nor claim to be a SAS expert.  So if you follow my suggestion, you do so enirely at your own risk.

There have been a few reports of this issue since 6.0 was launched.  We're working hard to figure out why.  So far, we haven not been able to reproduce it internally, and no users reported it during our pre-release testing.  We'll keep you posted with what we find out.

just in case it might help;

Mobo Biostar H77MU3

CPU i7-3770 LGA1155

Win7-64 HP

VGA GeForce 9600GT 1024MB

4....DIMM DDR3 2GB 1600Mhz

I shut down everything on installs but Microsoft Security Essentials stays on, but this is one of the most commonly used A/V's.

From what I've been able to determine working with a user who is experiencing this issue, Windows is failing to launch the the main program executable (SUPERAntiSpyware.exe) but there are no error messages coming from Windows.

If you are familiar with the Windows Event Viewer (Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer), maybe there is an error related to SUPERAntiSpyware?  I'd attempt to launch it, make note of the time on your system, then try to correlate errors or warnings in your Event Viewer with that time.  I'm guessing it's something like a missing DLL or maybe a system security error; this is pure speculation as we've been unable to reproduce the issue ourselves.  Let us know if you can find anything out; we're continuing to research this on our end as well.

The current download has some additional code to alleviate the issue Buddahfan experienced; this problem is unrelated (SAS was taking too long to shut down the old version which was preventing the new version from starting).

I have had no problem updating the program manually now twice a day since about 6 - 10? updates ago.  I can't remember, there have been so many.. So it appears the problem I mentioned is fixed.  Thanks.

From what I've been able to determine working with a user who is experiencing this issue, Windows is failing to launch the the main program executable (SUPERAntiSpyware.exe) but there are no error messages coming from Windows.

If you are familiar with the Windows Event Viewer (Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer), maybe there is an error related to SUPERAntiSpyware?  I'd attempt to launch it, make note of the time on your system, then try to correlate errors or warnings in your Event Viewer with that time.  I'm guessing it's something like a missing DLL or maybe a system security error; this is pure speculation as we've been unable to reproduce the issue ourselves.  Let us know if you can find anything out; we're continuing to research this on our end as well.

The current download has some additional code to alleviate the issue Buddahfan experienced; this problem is unrelated (SAS was taking too long to shut down the old version which was preventing the new version from starting).

Dave I've not had any problem installing SAS but after installing several updates of v6 I'm seeing this in Windows Event Viewer.

The SASDIFSV service failed to start due to the following error:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Detailed view is

System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Service Control Manager       [ Guid] {555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}       [ EventSourceName] Service Control Manager
    - EventID 7000       [ Qualifiers] 49152

Version 0       Level 2       Task 0       Opcode 0       Keywords 0x8080000000000000     - TimeCreated       [ SystemTime] 2014-08-06T20:33:01.967368400Z

EventRecordID 678274       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 640       [ ThreadID] 3724
      Channel System       Computer Andy-PC       Security
- EventData
    param1 SASDIFSV     param2 %%183

Possibly this could be related to the install problems some users are having.

Just a suggestion as I really don't know.

This is a very long standing issue of sorts (like version 4.x long ago); from what I remember, the error is generated because of uninstalling and reinstalling the same driver without rebooting. It works just fine, it just generates an error. SAS only uses that driver on startup, so by the time it needs it, you've rebooted, and the situation is resolved.

This is a very long standing issue of sorts (like version 4.x long ago); from what I remember, the error is generated because of uninstalling and reinstalling the same driver without rebooting. It works just fine, it just generates an error. SAS only uses that driver on startup, so by the time it needs it, you've rebooted, and the situation is resolved.

Thanks for the explanation Dave.

Just highlight the text in event viewer press ctrl c and it will copy it to the clipboard.

You can just paste it into your post then.

@rfharbin

That fault in RPCRT4.dll may be resolved with the current download on our server.  There was an unusual situation where some users had a user SID in the registry that was no longer valid on the system.  I'd reinstall with 6.0.1128 and see if that resolves the issue for you.

Thanks very much.

I downloaded a new update of program and it installed OK.

I like both the skin and guts of it It is a very good improvement.

I expect that it will recognize more of the browsers and popular programs in the future as OK.

It will take me  a few days to check all the unknowns but then it should fly.  I already found one I was happy to remove.

When I installed the Pro SAS 6.0.1116 ver on my laptop running XP SP3, SAS was constantly using aprox 50% of my cpu, even though it was not updateing or scanning, that I could tell. This went on for over an hour and I finally rebooted and it did the same. I then turned SAS off and installed   1126  and that took care of that problem. I installed over the top. I am going to wait a few more days or so and then dl and install the latest version.

Buffalo

Just curious is anyone else had a problem with the SAS Pro ver 6.0.1116 using 50% on their cpu while just on? This was on a dual core (1.67GHz)  Dell laptop with 2GB of ram and running xp sp3.

Also, when I upgraded it over the top with ver 6,0,1126 it solved that particular problem.

Looking forward to a final release that will be stable for several months.

Thanks,

Still love SAS and liking the new look.  :)

i just updated superantispyware pro to from 5 to 6 on 10 different computers running windows 7 pro and windows 8.1

5 went ok

5 looked like it upgraded but it still says 5.7.106 and looks like the 5 version not the new 6

there has to be a bug if it will not upgrade on 5 different computers and all have their own license number and none of them are related to each other, different clients of mine.

I tried it 4 x with reboots- nothing

the only way I could get it to upgrade was to go to your website and pick up the trial pro

and even when installing it , it hiccupped a few times

Hi Robin

I wish I had more insight to share with you about the update issues you experienced.  We haven't been able to reproduce any update errors in our testing lab and there haven't been any other reports like yours (so far).  Hopefully the issue isn't widespread.  I'll keep an eye out on the forums around the web.  Were these machines all using the same operating system?