CraigS

SAS 6 - SCAN Setup with EXT BkUp Drives

A Complete Scan states it Scans all files on the PC;   

Custom Scan setup to Include my two Ext BkUp Drives (E, J)  offers 5 "Categories" to Chk for Scanning - most of which seem irrelevant.

So Are Ext Drives usually Scanned? The more I think of the Categories the less logical it seems.

Do most use a Time-Limt for what's scanned (ie) Only mofified files last 30-60-90 days?   MANY THANKS!

Hi Craig

Complete Scan will scan running processes, targeted windows registry & system file locations in addition to all the files on drives that Windows identifies as "Fixed" or "Removable".  It will skip "Remote" (network) and Optical drives.

If you wish to omit one of your drives from the complete scan, you can click the "Advanced Scan Options" link on the start scan window, then add the drive to the "Excluded Folders" option.

Custom Scan with all of the options enabled and all of your fixed/removable drives added to the file locations would be equivalent to a Complete Scan.  It's mostly there for troubleshooting/testing or some other advanced purpose (i.e. scanning network shares, only scanning specific folders, etc).

Both scan types will use the "recently modified" scan option if that is enabled.

I hope that information is helpful!

Hi Craig

Complete Scan will scan running processes, targeted windows registry & system file locations in addition to all the files on drives that Windows identifies as "Fixed" or "Removable".  It will skip "Remote" (network) and Optical drives.

If you wish to omit one of your drives from the complete scan, you can click the "Advanced Scan Options" link on the start scan window, then add the drive to the "Excluded Folders" option.

Custom Scan with all of the options enabled and all of your fixed/removable drives added to the file locations would be equivalent to a Complete Scan.  It's mostly there for troubleshooting/testing or some other advanced purpose (i.e. scanning network shares, only scanning specific folders, etc).

Both scan types will use the "recently modified" scan option if that is enabled.

I hope that information is helpful!

========================================

Thanks, Dave. I didn't realize that Complete Scan mode would recognize my  Ext Bkup Hd Drives E, J by Default ("All files on this PC" I presumed was "on this PC's Hd Drive (Only) - so Custom Scans are unnecessary for me. 

Great!!  Thanks again!!