Buddahfan

Possible Conflict With W8.1 Updated File History

Prior to the update to 6.0 I was running only SAScore64.exe on my W8.x computers.  I had disabled SUPERAntispyware.exe in Windows Startup.   No reason to go into the reasons why.   Anyway during that time period i was creating a weekly System Image Backup in File History.  Except for an occassional can not create shadow copy, process in use by another program or something like that error. I had no problem creating Sysstem Image Backups, which I do weekly, on my three W8.1 updaed computers all with an Inel i5 processor.

With the update to SAS v 6.0 I decided to enable the running of SUPERAntispyware.exe at Windows Startup.   Since then I have had problems more often than not creating a System Image Backup on all of my three W8.1 updated computers.   However, I found that if I exit SAS from the Windows Taskbar Notification area before running the File History create System Image Backup feature in Windows 8.x that I no longer have a problem creating the System Image Backup.

The error message I get is Can Not Ceate Backup, Process In Use By Another Program or something like that.

Anyway it is no problem to exit SAS before doing creating the System Image Backup and then reloading SAS afterwards since I only do the backup once a week.

I don't know if there is a conflict or not and have no intention of spending anymore time troubling shooting this problem as long as exiting SAS allows for creating the System Image Backup.

However, I would suggest that your development team might try and see if they can re-create the problem.

Thank you for reporting this; we'll take a look and see if there's something we can do about that.

Thank you for reporting this; we'll take a look and see if there's something we can do about that.

Still appears to be a problem with W8.1 August Update.

Could just be a coincidence but I have tried about a have dozen System Image backups with SAS 6.0 running (W8.1 Update and W8.1 August Update) and they have all failed.  I then close SAS and immediately rerun Image Backup.  The Image Backup operation has successfully completed each of those times.

Hi Buddahfan,

Out of curiosity what happens if you revert back to an older version of SAS?

(I know the Win 8.1 August update has caused a lot of problems for people but as you had a problem in the same area earlier on it may help to narrow things down).

Hi Buddahfan,

Out of curiosity what happens if you revert back to an older version of SAS?

(I know the Win 8.1 August update has caused a lot of problems for people but as you had a problem in the same area earlier on it may help to narrow things down).

I have had no problems wih W8.1 Aug Update.  It's interesting that even websites like Softpedia have said that the taksbar showing up in the MUI is a bug.  I do not believe that is a bug but by intent.  Putting it there eliminates a click to get back to an open app in the desktop or to open an app from the MUI pinned to the taskbar  I think W9 will do away with the MUI Start Screen but the desktop taskbar will remain at the bottom when MUI apps are open in order to allow for a quicker tansition from a MUI app to a desktop app.

As far as reverting back. I am not going to do that.   Sorry I can't tell you if I had the problem with SAS 5.X on W8.1 Update since I never started and rarely opened the SAS 5.0 GUI in W8.1 Update.   SAScore ran the scans and did its thing. I know this because I did periodically open the the GUi to check and the scheduled scan logs were there.  Loading the SAS 5.X GUI at Windows startup used too much memory during the day so sometime way back I decided to dsiable SASSuperAntiSpyware.exe from running at W8.1 startup.   It wasn't until recently that I began running weekly Image Backups as I was having some HDD issues with my external WD HDDs and W8.1.  A few months ago I finished replacing all the exterenal WD HDDs and only then did I begin to run weekly Image Backups.   This was just before I began using SAS 6.0 Beta.

Bottom line is I don't recall ever having SAS 5.X enabled to run SASSuperAntiSpyware.exe at Windows startup when I was using W8.1 Updated.

Sorry but I am not gong to revert back to SAS 5.X to test this.  It is a memory and my time issue.  To many other things to do.  It is easier to just close the SAS GUI before i run the Image Backup and then reload the GUI after the Image Backup is completed, especially since I only run the Image Backup once a week.  One final note.  I am using BD W8 Security along with MBAM 2.0 Premium with no exclusions set in BD W8 Security, MBAM 2.0 Premium and SAS 6.0 Pro.  They all work great together as far as I can tell. Though running an W8.1 Image Backup might be setting off a conflict which prevents the W8.1 Image Backup from successfully completing and giving the error message "Window Image Backup failed.  Cannot complete as process is in use by another app" or something like that.