DooGie

Include version number in file name

When downloading a new version of SAS you can never be certain what the build  number is until you've actually downloaded it.

For example take the Pre-Release v6. I downloaded a build earlier today and installed it, think it was 6.0.1070. Then I downloaded again tonight and by hovering the mouse over the installation file I see it's now on build 6.0.1082.

Please can you show what the exact build no. is somewhere in the file name.

Only a thought.

Normally, the current release version is displayed on the home page so it's pretty easy to tell what's the latest.  The pre-release is a bit of an unusual case in this regard.  Publishing builds is an automated process which would have to be retooled for naming the file differently and could open up a whole bunch of other problems with download links breaking, etc.  I'm not sure this is something we'd want to tinker with.

We're pretty close to being out of the pre-release cycle, then the update servers will take over and you won't have to re-download :)

Thanks for the fast response Dave.

Yes I hadn't thought of the problems you mentioned, however in the past a new version has been uploaded to the download page and it has been a couple of days before

the text on the download page has been updated to show the correct version.

That is with release versions not pre-release.

Yeah, at one point the website text was updated manually.  It could take a couple days to publish those changes due to an internal review policy (to prevent mistakes from getting published to the website). It's all database driven now so when the download updates, the website text will alway reflect the current version.  The only lag now is the time it takes for all of the regional download servers (mirrors) to get updated, that usually takes less than an hour.

- Dave