JimPeters

SUPERAntiSpyware popups and use issues

A few months ago, my computer was suffering from effects of malware. I took it to a shop and explained (and wrote out) all the problems to be corrected, and specified everything that needed to be protected and left alone and what kinds of things I didn't want put on my computer.  All my instructions and list of problems were disregarded and several cleaning programs were run,  When they were done, most of the problems still remained, and I had lost all the programs, settings, and data I had asked specifically to be protected. 

One of the programs they had run and left installed on my computer was SUPERAntiSpyware.  Since then, you would think SUPERAntiSpyware was the computer's primary program, considering it is the first and only program banner that appears every time I boot up, plus an ad for updates pops up next, and repeatedly pops up every hour or so and every time I resume use after a break, needing to be Xed out every time.  This is intrusive adware and it has become intolerable.  If that cannot be corrected, I want the program off my computer. 

I have never dared run the program for fear of losing important settings, etc. If the intrusive popups can be eliminated, and I learn that I can run the program without risk, there are problems now for which it may be useful.  I thought I'd ask before uninstalling. 

Hi JimPeters,

As this was from a shop there is no way of knowing if it is a legit version of SAS or if it is then we wouldn't know what version (it may be old, it sounds it but would need more details)

Best advice I have is to remove SAS via one of the download links to the Uninstall Assistant which will completely remove all traces of SAS;

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=47

Use the correct one for your system.

Then if you would like to try SAS in your own time, please use the download page;

https://www.superantispyware.com/index.html

and select the version you would like to try :)

Thanks.  My questions remain: whether the program can be had without the constant popups, and whether it can be used without endandering programs and settings. 

The version is 5.7.1018

In my experience with the free version, I found turning off the SAS Core Service stopped the nagging pop ups allowing me the choice to update when I wanted to (although this procedure is frowned upon by SAS as it uses the Core Service in malware removal)

In the Pro version this service should definitely stay ON as it is running Real Time scanning.

Both versions have the option to disable/enable certain settings but only if you select it to do so from within the program itself, i.e; selecting Repairs in the system tools area.

Leaving these items unchecked will leave your System settings as is.

5.7.1018 is way out of date this may actually explain the issue with the pop ups.

Try installing the free version of the pre release (its a lot more improved and the scans are soooo much faster :)

Free version (pre release)

Just remember to uninstall the the 5.7.1018 version first. (as I say it is out of date and may be the cause of your pop ups)

It's never a good situation to be using outdated software and updating is quite quick.  That being said, you can simply uncheck the option within preferences to periodically check for program updates and you'll not get notifications again (unless you check for updates manually or via automatic updates with SAS Pro).  SAS Pro also has the option to update the program files silently without the notification window.

It's quite flexible and we've tried to make it work for almost any way folks want to use the program. 

I just wanted to address the SAS Core Service issue since it was brought up, feel free to ignore this if you really just care about the update notifications.

If SAS doesn't have permission to scan your system, it will not be able to detect or remove some varieties of malware. The SAS Core Service runs under the System account and acts as a "slave" to SAS.  As of Windows Vista (occasionally XP as well), SAS runs as a limited user (default for almost all applications) and needs the SAS Core Service to do anything that would require elevated permissions. It does nothing on its own except listen for SAS to tell it what to do.

If you are compelled to disable/remove the SAS Core Service, you'd need to right-click on the program shortcut and select "Run as Administrator" so it can properly access the file system.  Doing this, however, creates some of its own problems like being unable to start with your system, potentially breaking right-click scanning or drag-and-drop operations (non-elevated processes like Explorer can't communicate with elevated processes). We don't test with the SAS Core Service disabled, so I can't say for sure what works and what doesn't. I know there's a desire to disable/limit nonessential services and if there were any way we could eliminate the need for it we would; but it's really a "core" part of SAS.