currentwave

Updated and now SAS won't run

I had a pop up SAS window asking me to check for updates, I clicked okay but didn't pay close attention as I was in the middle of something else.

After it went through the usual updating of the virus files I closed the pop up window.  Later on I noticed that the icon for SAS in my system tray was gone.  So I went to my Start menu and couldn't find my short cut for SAS, so I went to Program files dir and noticed that the SAS icons were changed and I didn't see my green-bug exe file.  So I double clicked to run the SAS exe file but nothing happened.  No matter what, I couldn't get SAS to open or show up in the sys tray, but in Task manager it shows it as running.  So I restarted windows, no good.  I uninstalled it, downloaded SAS again and reinstalled it.  It still wouldn't run.

This is all so strange, I'm not sure what to do now.

I'm running Win 7 with all the updates, and I have purchased the pro verson of SAS, but that isn't helping me now.

Any ideas?

Hi currentwave,

What have the icons changed to? Can you attach a pic?

I'd try downloading the SAS setup from our website again and install over top your existing installation.  That should ensure the SAS files on your PC are all there and correct/current.

Hi currentwave,

What have the icons changed to? Can you attach a pic?

No, I removed all the files/folder and did a reinstall because the install gave me a warning against installing over an old install.

Now with the 'new' install - it takes a strange long time after start up to see the icon (yellow bug with green check mark) in my system try (I mean a crazy long time).  But it seems to be working again - very strange....do you think everything is fine now, or could some virus be lurking messing up SAS in some way?

Thanks for your responses guys ~

That's curious about the startup time.  If you right-click on the bug and click "exit" to shut down SAS, then run it again, does it take equally as long for the bug to come back?

I wonder if you'd be interested in installing the version 6 pre-release to see if it has similar behavior. A bunch has changed between 5 and 6 when the program starts up.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/7759-superantispyware-60-pre-release-download/

I didn't just update but my SUPERAntiSpyware Pro won't open.  I've tried everything including the Alternate Start and all the suggestions on the web site help pages to no avail.  I tried to install over current version but wasn't able to do so.  What should I do when it prompts me to uninstall current version?  My only options were 'uninstall' or 'cancel'. 

I'm suspecting some kind of malware is preventing SAS from running.  I get the first flag, but when that goes away, the program doesn't open. 

Also, when I download and run RUNSAS.EXE I get this error message: 'Unable to locate SUPERAntiSpyware program files.'
When I download and run SASSAFERUN.COM I get this error message: ' SUPERAntiSpyware defination database is outdated. Please visit SuperAntiSpyware.com and download a new TECH edition'. I can't find anything that is called a TECH edition but I did update definitions. Help would be appreciated very much.