nighthawkext

SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0 Pre-Release Download

Installed (version pro) on top version 5.7-...all ok,but, interface..horrible.... :?  not colours..all grey

Thanks

Edit: SAS it should more agressive with Pups, how Malwarebytes or Adwcleaner

Installed (version pro) on top version 5.7-...all ok,but, interface..horrible.... :?  not colours..all grey

Thanks

I thought the same as you regarding the gui at first. However now I've got used to it I love it, yeah it's all grey but black text and colours over it really stand out.

A step forward I think. :)

I thought the same as you regarding the gui at first. However now I've got used to it I love it, yeah it's all grey but black text and colours over it really stand out.

A step forward I think. :)

It is a bit of a grey-wash right now, but we're going to give it more color where it makes sense to... You're spot on with our idea behind it though - put color where it will have an impact... We are a file scanner after all - and if it looks too flashy, it starts to look like a rogue.

As always, any feedback (good or bad) is welcome!

Thanks

I agree as PUA's & PUP's are getting out of control. :mrgreen:

TH

Unwanted programs *are* getting out of control aren't they? It's a tough one to deal with on our end.  We want to just wipe them out, but there are folks out there who legitimately love their bing toolbar or whatever, and we'd get in hot water if we intentionally presented a legitimate company's software as bad. I know some of you would like us to remove that annoying java updater too...but, seriously folks, if you use it, update your java!

That's why we added the unwanted program engine in 5.7; It's given us a whole new way to deal with the problem.  Before, we could only display them as "notify" results, which was confusing to lots of folks because they aren't removed unless you manually select it...we'd also get a barrage of false positive reports (no way to win, eh?).  The unwanted programs UI in 5.7 has been a bit confusing for some as well; folks would click continue thinking it would just remove everything it found... Hopefully we've eliminated the confusion with the new layout in 6.0. 

It's always a balancing act between powerful/efficient and easy. We have a really broad spectrum of users..from IT pros to technophobes. I'm looking forward to hearing the response from our less techie customers...actually, if we don't hear anything, we've probably nailed it!

when is this new version going to be released?

Official release probably won't be for a while yet.. maybe another month or two.  The pre-release was made available well in advance so we could get feedback on the UI before things got too far along. We're still adding features and fine tuning everything.

Version 6 will be bringing a whole new set of functionality that goes beyond scanning.  We all think it's very cool but we're going to want everyone's feedback on it as well before it goes out to the general public. The pre-release download will be updated as we go, so you can check out the progress.  I'm expecting another build very soon; I was hoping for last week but it wasn't quite ready.

Heya guys!

We have updated the pre-release download with a new build today!  Inside System Tools is a preview of our primary snazzy new feature for version 6, System Investigator  8)

Yes, it's a preview; but we wanted to get it into the hands of our testers to get your feedback on it.  It's intended for somewhat tech-savvy users, though we've done our best to present the information in a way that anyone could use it.

What does it do?

It shows you files of interest on your system located in key areas (most common infection points).  Running programs, installed programs, browser plugins, programs with shortcuts on your desktop, start menu, etc; programs in the registry, temp folders, internet cache folders, document folders, well, you get the idea.  If it's running or configured to run (automatically), it should be in that list... if it's not, we want to hear from you!

Everything found on your system will be checked against our whitelist database of millions of files and trusted software publishers to determine what's good and it gets moved to it's own category so you can safely ignore those.

Items that aren't in our whitelist ("Unknown Items") are able to be voted on by our users.  Voting will move the item into a different list to narrow down your real list of "Unknowns", and will also help our malware researchers add items to our whitelist or identify potential threats or unwanted programs.  Everyone sees vote counters for unknown items to help identify good/bad files.  You can leave a comment/note when you vote and you can view the comments from other users on the file details.

SAS Pro Feature:  See changes to the files in these key areas within a selected time period.  If something has messed with a program, or added itself, you'll see right away!

Why is this in SUPERAntiSpyware?

We have a dedicated team of developers and malware researchers (and users!) who feverishly hunt down malware and improve our scanner every day... But there's just no possible way that any scanner can find everything all the time.  I kid you not, we get over 150,000 unique malware samples every day.  We fill up a 6 TB RAID every month.  

We use a whole bunch of custom tools to organize, triage, identify and create definitions for malware.... So we thought - if we could give SAS users access to some of the technology we use for malware research; there'd be another way we could help folks clean their machines if a scan didn't do it automatically.. Plus, we're users too! We use SAS to clean the PCs of our friends and families, and how cool would it be to be able to tap into the resources we have at work when we're at a friend's house?

What's missing in the preview?

The whitelist and voting database is not the live data.  Expect many, many more results to be automatically moved into your "Known Good" lists when we're out of beta.  Though feel free to vote on things, the data won't be lost.

We disabled removal/uninstall options for now as we're still implementing things like quarantine integration.

Online viewable reporting isn't implemented on our website yet.  This feature will let you create a unique URL for each run of the System Investigator that will mimic the results on a webpage on our server. Only you will know the URL so you can choose to keep it to yourself or share it with others.  You could use it to get help from a friend or a tech help forum or to view your results from another location (more on that below).

SAS Pro Feature: Run System Investigator on a schedule to capture incremental changes to your system (the more often you run it, the more accurate file changes/additions/removals can be detected).  Each time you run the System Investigator it creates a "point in time" snapshot of the items on your system; great for knowing exactly when something changed.

SAS Pro Feature: E-mail alerts.  We think this'll be a very powerful feature and a big "thank you" to our SAS Pro customers.  With it, you can set up scheduled System Investigator tasks to e-mail you the online-viewable report URL so you can remotely monitor a PC.  Set up SAS Pro on your Mom's or child's computer and get a daily or weekly report of all the changes to the system.  This could also be used for smaller offices where the IT guy can make sure employees aren't messing up their workstation.  E-mail alerts will also be available to send the scan log of regular scheduled scanning as well!

I hope you guys enjoy this new stuff, and let us know what you think!

tldr: check out System Investigator under System Tools, it's awesome!

- Dave

i'm waiting...and waiting still...this trhead is really helpful. thanks guys!

What're you waiting for?  Any questions I can answer?

Figured it was time to retire the snowflake from the IKEA kitchen planner placeholder refrigerator ;)

can we please remove the Google Chrome installation from SAS?? this makes it no different than anyw bundleware / crapware app

I understand the concern with Chrome being offered as part of the SUPERAntiSpyware installation.  By including the option to install Chrome, it gives someone an opportunity to obtain a working browser if the other browser(s) on their system have been hijacked or corrupted in some way.  It's a bit of a lifeline that has bailed out many of our users who generally are appreciative that the option is there.  Some folks are also not aware of newer or alternate browsers and are still using something old/outdated like IE7... Chrome is a far better choice.

It's not for everyone, I get that; but we're not suggesting our users install something that we don't use ourselves - most of us have Chrome as our primary browser.

I understand the concern with Chrome being offered as part of the SUPERAntiSpyware installation.  By including the option to install Chrome, it gives someone an opportunity to obtain a working browser if the other browser(s) on their system have been hijacked or corrupted in some way.  It's a bit of a lifeline that has bailed out many of our users who generally are appreciative that the option is there.  Some folks are also not aware of newer or alternate browsers and are still using something old/outdated like IE7... Chrome is a far better choice.

It's not for everyone, I get that; but we're not suggesting our users install something that we don't use ourselves - most of have Chrome as our primary browser.

Not sure about that.

If a user has been browser-jacked then the chances are they can't get to the site to download the product in the first place, and if they can then the browser can easily be rescued/repaired/reset.

can we please remove the Google Chrome installation from SAS?? this makes it no different than anyw bundleware / crapware app

I don't particularly like the inclusion of Chrome option in the SAS installer mainly because I prefer Firefox.

However it does no harm and only takes a mouse click to choose not to install it , if it brings a bit more revenue in for SAS then I don't see a problem.

Hardly like it wants you to install a PUP is it ?

I don't particularly like the inclusion of Chrome option in the SAS installer mainly because I prefer Firefox.

However it does no harm and only takes a mouse click to choose not to install it , if it brings a bit more revenue in for SAS then I don't see a problem.

Hardly like it wants you to install a PUP is it ?

true, does no harm, but a security product offering bundleware is a big NO in my books

that's what made many users move away from AVIRA

That Google update program is a real pain to get rid of if installed Chrome by mistake. I paid for the program for one reason which is not

unwanted programs.

I'm giving the freeware 6.0.1032 a run on my Vista x86 laptop. So far it looks good, I like the GUI overall. Although I had to run the SAS uninstall tool to delete any remnants of the stable release before this would actually install.

Will the stable version of #6 series update over-the-top of this, or will I have to uninstall the beta totally first?

Thanks, Dave.

The final release of 6 will install over SAS 5 and the beta versions of SAS 6. Though, It's always a good idea to uninstall a beta before installing the final release.

The final release of 6 will install over SAS 5 and the beta versions of SAS 6. Though, It's always a good idea to uninstall a beta before installing the final release.

OK, thanks for the advice.  :-P