Sign in to follow this  
Ultra Male

Explorer Crash on right click

I have been having this issue since ages, on both Win 7 and 8.1

Explorer.exe would just randomly crash with a weird error number.

I searched on google but couldn't find the answer

I knew one of my apps was the problem

I now formatted and installed all my software except SAS and the problem is gone

I also found many other users with the same problem with SAS

when will this be fixed and how to temporarily resolve it ?

here it is:

1zpsj0h.png

only happens randomnly when SAS is installed. Mind you, I have disabled all features of the right click menu and rela time monitoring and even disabled the service. Seems to be something to do with the registry entries it adds

A couple of questions berryracer as the error is very elusive as to exactly the conflict;

1. Have you got all windows updates installed?

2. Has there been any system tweaks since SAS was first installed (before the problem arose)?

3. How long has the problem been going on for?

4. Have you run Full Anti-Virus scans?

5. Have you tried a SFC /Scan?

Thank you.

A couple of questions berryracer as the error is very elusive as to exactly the conflict;

1. Have you got all windows updates installed?

2. Has there been any system tweaks since SAS was first installed (before the problem arose)?

3. How long has the problem been going on for?

4. Have you run Full Anti-Virus scans?

5. Have you tried a SFC /Scan?

Thank you.

1) Yes offcourse, that's the first thing I do when I install Windows

2) Nope

3) for about 6 months but I never knew what was causing it until one day, to isolate the problem, I started installing one program after the other then running the computer for a day.... only after SAS was installed did this start happening

4) Again, first thing I do after installing Windows + updates + drivers is to install NOD32 Antivirus v7

5) I won't run an SFC scan on a freshly installed system to fix some buggy program as it won't help since the problem was isolated to SAS

berryracer,

We appreciate you tracking this down to SAS. However, we have had no other reports of this issue over many years. Is there anything specific to your system that you think might be causing this issue?

Thanks

Don

Latest update.......

I formatted my laptop and installed all my apps and my Avira AV Pro as usual......

not a single problem or explorer crash.....

then I installed the latest SUPERAntiSpyware 6.0.1146 and I disabled it from the auto startup and unticked the show explorer right click menu from the options.....

2 hours.......and boom........explorer.exe crash....

Event Name: BEX64

App Version: 6.1.7601.17567

Time Stamp: 46d72ee4

Fault Model Name: StackHash_c1c9

I don't know what is that related to but all I know is it only happens after SAS is installed (free edition)

I know it's something related to the right click extension......

I kept getting random crashes even after restarting.....there is no special event to trigger it, it just happens normally.....

I deleted the below keys and the problem is gone!!

the SAS team needs to seriously do something about this. I am sure many others are experiencing this but noone would even know it's related to SAS

My Total Uninstall 6 app is what told me SAS is using these keys so don't be surprised how I found them....I was about to uninstall SAS for good but just before doing that, upon seeing the analysis from Total Uninstall I thought way a second, deleting these right click extensions MUST solve the issue and it did!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{CA8ACAFA-5FBB-467B-B348-90DD488DE003}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{CA8ACAFA-5FBB-467B-B348-90DD488DE003}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{CA8ACAFA-5FBB-467B-B348-90DD488DE003}

I'm glad you were able to find a solution to the problem you were having. I have searched extensively and, unfortunately, you are the only person I can find reporting this problem. There are a large number of hits on this issue with other applications and even fixes from Microsoft for their own programs, but nothing for SAS. Hopefully, if others are having this issue we will get more reports of it and can figure out what is happening. 

Yeah I know very weird seems like maybe the right click extension entry doesn't play with one of my other shell extension entries which might cause this hence you don't see many complaint about it. But I am glad I finally found the solution and can continue to use SAS without affecting my system and hopefully this may help others if they come across this issue.