bajan

Definitions update problem

I'm having a lot of problems updating my SAS Pro v. 5.7.1018 definitions.

I keep getting the following message DEFINITIONS UPDATE ERROR - FAILED. 

When I try to download the definitions manually from the link on the SAS site it sends me to this URL:  http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE

My browser then times out and gives me this message: This webpage is not available

What should I do to update my definitions?

Hi bajan,

Sorry its taken so long, things to do etc... Are you still having issues with the updates?

My problem is the the SCAN my computer POPUP keeps coming up every3-3 minutes even though I have scanned several times AND updated several times it still happens.

Hi tmik,

Have you run a full scan?

Also why did you report your post?

Ran FULL scan 4 times found nothing - Removed and installed SAS 2X with same
results that it continues to pop up even right after completing the scan.
Reported post because SAS Support has NOT answered after 24+ hours after my
reply that I followed instructions and it still continues to occur.

IMGTranShim1x1.gif

Yes this is the same link Support said to use which did nothing to stop the popup - I use Vipre antivirus and even tried shutting that off  to uninstall and re install and that didn't help either - shutting SAS down buy exiting doesn'r even stop it.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Replied:

Thomas,

Please uninstall using our assistant, it's in the section titled Alternate Uninstall Method, at this link:

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=47

That is a strange issue.

Try starting in Safe mode and running the scan (incase there is a conflict somewhere)

Also can you take a screen shot of the pop up next time it occurs and attach it here, and state the OS you are using 32bit or 64bit

Thanks

it's the normal popup that get  you when you want to run a scan and can choose the full - quick or critical points scans etc  and has a place to check for updates. I don't have time to run a safe mode scan tonight.

Ive never seen a pop up that gives the opportunity for different scans, better to show a screenshot so the issue can be pinpointed.

No email options. You can use the attach function or use an image host like imagur or jing, but easier to do it direct from your computer.

If that's a LOGIN SCREEN how do I STOP it from popping up ever 2 minutes ?

OP system is windows XP Pro 32 and I did run a SAFE MODE SCAN with no change in the login screen popping up every few minutes upon rebooting.

If that's a LOGIN SCREEN how do I STOP it from popping up ever 2 minutes ?

OP system is windows XP Pro 32 and I did run a SAFE MODE SCAN with no change in the login screen popping up every few minutes upon rebooting.

I meant your link doesn't show anything, no images nothing.

Links removed and passwroed changed now that mod has seen it

Edited by tmik
details removed for your protection

I see you removed the password and ID and THANK YOU - hopefully you were able to see that JPG too. I have already changed the password on that account so all is well there.. THANKS AGAIN

post-37063-0-11533300-1399249397_thumb.jpg

This is the screen that keeps popping ujp ever few minutes even though I've run the scans and updated 

That is weird that it keeps popping up.

Can you contact Customer Services through this ticket https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html and explain your problem as it looks like a diagnostic may have to be done to determine where the issue is arising.

Thanks.

That's what I did yesterday and they sent me the file to download and I returned it, expecting reply today

REceived reply today - Looks like they IGNORED my question if the VIPRE antivirus program I run is causing the conflict after their last update. Here's what they instructed me to do

Thomas,

After a thorough review of both your forum posts and this ticket, including the submitted diagnostic, we still believe a fresh start reinstall should correct the issue.

Please follow these steps exactly:

Please uninstall using our assistant, it's in the section titled Alternate Uninstall Method, at this link:

After you have uninstalled, download and run the free application CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Then install again using this link:

If you are still having trouble, please report back on the process you went through in detail, and let us know if you had any issues or hang-ups.

Here's my response

tmik@xxxxxxxx Wrote:

I followed the directions above completely

Uninstalled using Assist link for 32 bit

Installed and Ran CCleaner - removed everything found

Reinstalled and ran SuperantiSpyware using link provided

Within 1 MINUTE of the scan completing the SAME SCAN YOUR COMPUTER POPUP came up telling me last scan was 2 minutes ago as was last update

another minute later SAME POPUP with last scan 3 minutes ago and last update 3 minutes ago and it kept popping up minute after minute.

RESULTS - NOTHING FIXED and no improvement in results. Have you considered that SAS is NOT compatable with my VIPRE ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM ??

Edited by GuiltySpark
email removed for your protection

An AV conflict shouldnt cause that kind of error (but then again...), i have no way of testing the theory as Vipre is a subscribed AV but you did say it happened in Safe mode as well, AV's dont work in Safe mode so there cant be a conflict going on.

Just went back and reloaded SAS - rebooted in Safe Mode - Ran SAS scan and found nothing and it DID NOT POP UP AGAIN. Then rebooted and ran the SAS scan that immediately popped up,  found 3 items and removed them and within a minute that SOB POPUP started agin so it has to be a conflict with VIPRE. I have to remove the SAS again because it pops up every minute or less.  I'll see what the techs say to do now that I asked point blank if it could be Vipre conflict..

HI tmik,

I can't say that we've encountered this issue before, so our customer support may be at a loss.  The suggestion to uninstall and reinstall is just a "best guess" that your program configuration has become corrupt in such a way that you're ending up with unusual behavior.  The only thing that SAS does once-a-minute is check for a scheduled scan that may have been missed due to a broken Windows Task Scheduler; but at most it'll pop up a little toast window in the lower-right corner of the screen with a message like "A scheduled scan was missed".

I'm wondering if the same behavior occurs with SAS 6.0.  We have a pre-release available for download that has much of the UI code reworked and may resolve this for you.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/7759-superantispyware-60-pre-release-download/

Response from the makers of VIPRE said that it is NOT COMPATABLE with any other malware programs _ See BELOW

Hi Thomas,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> SuperAntiSpyware is considered a conflict as it's an antivirus program just like Vipre. Having two or more antivirus running on your computer at the same time causes a conflict and can slowdown or crash your computer. Likewise, when a scan freezes, hangs up, generally stops working, or crashes a system - most of the time this is associated with exclusions or software that is causing a thread lock. A thread lock occurs when two different pieces of software running at the SYSTEM level attempt to access file(s) at the same time. This causes a lock, because the file can't be accessed simultaneously. Due to these reasons, antivirus program makers recommend that there should only be one antivirus program running and active at the sametime.SuperAntiSpyware is considered a conflict as it's an antivirus program just like Vipre. Having two or more antivirus running on your computer at the same time causes a conflict and can slowdown or crash your computer. Likewise, when a scan freezes, hangs up, generally stops working, or crashes a system - most of the time this is associated with exclusions or

software that is causing a thread lock. A thread lock occurs when two different pieces of software running at the SYSTEM level attempt to access file(s) at the same time. This causes a lock, because the file can't be accessed simultaneously. Due to these reasons, antivirus program makers recommend that there should only be one antivirus program running and active at the same time.

Therefore - Unless the new SAS 6.0 is programmed to work alongs side / with VIPRE I doubt if installing it will resolve the problems I had.

SuperAntiSpyware is considered a conflict as it's an antivirus program just like Vipre.

SAS is not a AV. I'm surprised Vipre have called it this as the clue is in the title SuperANTISPYWARE.

Having two or more antivirus running on your computer at the same time causes a conflict and can slowdown or crash your computer.

This is mostly true however as stated above SAS is not an AV.

A thread lock occurs when two different pieces of software running at the SYSTEM level attempt to access file(s) at the same time. This causes a lock, because the file can't be accessed simultaneously. Due to these reasons, antivirus program makers recommend that there should only be one antivirus program running and active at the same time.

Again SAS is not an AV, although I understand what they mean by a conflict when running at System level. But all anti-malware programs run at a Sytem level to have one not do this defeats the point.

Therefore - Unless the new SAS 6.0 is programmed to work alongs side / with VIPRE I doubt if installing it will resolve the problems I had.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure SAS needs to change its code but rather Vipre would based on this statement below;

Response from the makers of VIPRE said that it is NOT COMPATABLE with any other malware programs _ See BELOW

So no anti malware programs can work with it? What if you need a second or third opinion? There are no other cases of AV's not working with it currently.

*These are just my opinions and do not reflect the SAS teams views.