RoaminRogr

Definitions Update Error

Using latest Pro Version (have for since inception!) 5.7.018  on Win 7, 64 Bit, updated.

First time "anything" has Failed... I do manual updates every other day... today's gave a response in RED.

"Definitions Update Error" - Not sure but wanted to inquire.

Any fixes???

Many thanks for a great product .

I have the same problem. My machine is windows 7, 64 bit. I have the free version of SuperAntiSpyware 5.7.1018.  I keep getting definitions update error.

Authenticating Connection is okay - I get a green tick and the word "complete"

Checking for definition update is okay - i get a green tick and the word "complete"

Downloading Updates (mirror 1) is okay - i get a green tick and the word "complete"

Please note Downloading Updates (mirror 1) happens 3 times for me.

At the end, I am told:

Definitions Update ERROR - failed. This section is all in red.

This has been going on for me for the past 1.5 hours.

Pro version 5.7.1018, database 11054, Win 7 64-bit...also getting Definition Update Error messages for Mirror 1. Also getting the same message/result on another computer with database 11057. Please advise.

Hi, I have the same problem with updates.

I could not update using the GUI last week and downloaded and installed the definitions manually. After running the installer, the "Database status" was incorrect and said "updated 8 days ago" but when I "checked for updates" , the definitions were up to date.

I have the same problem today as you can see from the attached images.

System: Windows 7 Pro, MSE, Superantispyware free edition, 

Thanks,

Timadam

post-36724-0-13905100-1393195693_thumb.jpg          post-36724-0-05655200-1393195809_thumb.jpg

Hi GuiltySpark,

I downloaded the installer using the link you provided. The definitions are now up to date but the database status is still  " updated 19 days ago".

I hope this information will help you to resolve the problems.

Timadam

post-36724-0-29727000-1393203102_thumb.jpg        post-36724-0-71381700-1393203137_thumb.jpg

Hi Timadam,

restart your computer it may fix it (but no guarantee) either way your definitions will be up to date and when things are sorted your auto update should correct the database error display.

Hi GuiltySpark,

I have just restarted but the database status is still  "updated 19 days ago". 

Everything else works properly so I will update manually until the bug is fixed.

I also tried to update my HP desktop (Windows Xp SP3) using the GUI but the update failed.

Thanks,

Timadam

Why does the SAS error window have a misspelled word? Has SAS itself been hijacked? My screenshot (attached, hopefully, if I can click the correct things here) shows "Defintions" - one letter is missing, it *should* be spelled "definitions" (other people's screenshots show this same wrong spelling).

I did get the standalone updater to work (I think) because after running it, if I try to update SAS from within the program itself, now it tells me it's already up-to-date.

BUT when I hover the mouse-cursor over the taskbar icon, it indicates it's 4 days out of date: "SUPERAntiSpyware 5.7.1018, Core: 11058 Trace: 8870 (02/20/2014)". AND the version numbers don't match - taskbar says 5.7.1018, whereas the program itself says "Version 5, 7, 0, 1018" - note the extra zero and the inconsistent commas instead of periods.

I've heard for years that unexplained misspellings and inconsistencies can be a major red-flag indicator of malware of one sort or another.

I thought SAS was a U.S. company, so it's not entirely unreasonable to expect standard English-language spelling of common words in the program's user-interface and error messages (although in years past I once saw a misspelled word in a Microsoft Windows error message, so maybe developers don't bother to check those things? Doesn't inspire confidence when they can't pay attention to detail though). I hope SAS itself or its servers haven't been compromised in some way.

I'm running the Pro (paid subscription) version of SAS - my license is good for two computers, and both computers showed the same SAS error message.

post-36731-0-75531500-1393254311_thumb.jpg

Why does the SAS error window have a misspelled word? Has SAS itself been hijacked? My screenshot (attached, hopefully, if I can click the correct things here) shows "Defintions" - one letter is missing, it *should* be spelled "definitions" (other people's screenshots show this same wrong spelling).

That is funny, I never noticed that mispelling but these things sometimes happen. I don't think SAS has been "hijacked" more than likely a server issue there has been a lot of DDoS ing going around at present of course this is all hear say until the team report in.

BUT when I hover the mouse-cursor over the taskbar icon, it indicates it's 4 days out of date: "SUPERAntiSpyware 5.7.1018, Core: 11058 Trace: 8870 (02/20/2014)". AND the version numbers don't match - taskbar says 5.7.1018, whereas the program itself says "Version 5, 7, 0, 1018" - note the extra zero and the inconsistent commas instead of periods.

The 4 days out of date indication is because it is linked to the auto update feature (I think) at least that is what I have noticed to be the case.

As for the "version 5, 7, 0, 1018" In my tests I have not seen this to show at all, not the zero or the commas just 5.7.1018 as it should be.

I've heard for years that unexplained misspellings and inconsistencies can be a major red-flag indicator of malware of one sort or another.

In some cases yes, however nothing picks the files/program etc up as a threat from my tests.

I thought SAS was a U.S. company, so it's not entirely unreasonable to expect standard English-language spelling of common words in the program's user-interface and error messages (although in years past I once saw a misspelled word in a Microsoft Windows error message, so maybe developers don't bother to check those things? Doesn't inspire confidence when they can't pay attention to detail though). I hope SAS itself or its servers haven't been compromised in some way.

Sometimes these things just happen, the important thing is to discover -- adapt -- and make sure it can't happen the same way again.

I'm running the Pro (paid subscription) version of SAS - my license is good for two computers, and both computers showed the same SAS error message.

They will untill the team can get things fixed which will probably be in the form of a definition update (I expect)

Please note.

I have no contact with the SAS team so I cannot give any definitive answers.

Hi! I am here for this same reason, failed updates,

last update three days ago. I have the paid version.

I ran the SASDEFINITIONS.EXE

Program Version

Database Version

Database Status

Updated 3 days ago

Thanks GuiltySpark for reassuring me and getting me calmed down  :mrgreen: , and thanks to the developers and everyone else at SAS for fixing this problem in a reasonably timely manner. Everything seems to be working OK now. I didn't have to reinstall or uninstall or jump through any hoops, so that's good. SAS seems to have fixed everything automatically/seamlessly so that it "just works" :-P which is the way good software should be. Glitches happen, I understand that, I'm glad it's fixed now. Thanks again to everyone.