Jahn

SAS shortcut in system root drive

Seems a bit odd. Is anyone else seeing this?

It's not showing on my system.

GuiltySpark I don't think the OP is saying that it's a problem, he just doesn't know why it's suddenly appeared there.

It's not showing on my system.

GuiltySpark I don't think the OP is saying that it's a problem, he just doesn't know why it's suddenly appeared there.

Correct, and thanks for feedback, DooGie.

C:\ is certainly not a convenient location to launch or relaunch SAS from, so why put a shortcut there? At first I thought it may have to do with SAS Alternate Start, but no, the shortcut points to the main executable.

I see. That is weird but as I don't use XP I have no idea as to why it would appear there of its own accord :unsure:

I just did a clean install of 5.7.1014 and the shortcut in C: returned. There must be a purpose for it or it could be a mistake/glitch in two versions, I suppose.

I don't know if Doogie uses the same OS as you but if so and it doesn't happen for him then it would suggest it is an issue with your system and the default location of adding shortcuts.

Where do the shortcuts you usually get end up just out of interest?

Thanks Doogie.

If no-one else has found this issue on XP then my above statement still holds water, however I have no way of testing it, got shot of XP years back (nasty eXPloit) :)

Thanks for reporting this Jahn, Unfortunately, I have no been able to reproduce this on XP or Win7. We will look into the possible ways this could happen.

Don

Thanks for replies Guilty, DooGie, and Elmer. A special hello to Don and thanks for past help some years ago.

I don't know if Doogie uses the same OS as you but if so and it doesn't happen for him then it would suggest it is an issue with your system and the default location of adding shortcuts.

Where do the shortcuts you usually get end up just out of interest?

My program shortcuts normally appear on my desktop, as you would expect. Since no one else is reporting the problem I'm wondering if maybe a security app could be blocking SAS access to the desktop. But then allowing access to the root drive wouldn't make sense. BTW, this is a one month old install of XP SP3 (slipstreamed Dell disk), all current Windows Updates, Private Firewall, Avast 9, and I use an owner account with admin privileges.

Thanks for replies Guilty, DooGie, and Elmer. A special hello to Don and thanks for past help some years ago.

My program shortcuts normally appear on my desktop, as you would expect. Since no one else is reporting the problem I'm wondering if maybe a security app could be blocking SAS access to the desktop. But then allowing access to the root drive wouldn't make sense. BTW, this is a one month old install of XP SP3 (slipstreamed Dell disk), all current Windows Updates, Private Firewall, Avast 9, and I use an owner account with admin privileges.

Try going to the SAS folder, right click SUPERANTISPYWARE.exe move curosor over "Send To", click on Send to Deskotp (Create Shortcut) and see what happens.

Thanks for your good suggestion, Buddahfan. But when I upgraded to 5.7.1016 (clean install), the SAS icon was appropriately placed on the desktop. I'm baffled. I will keep your idea in mind, though, should it happen with a future version.