reodor

Mcafee Siteadvisor RED on SAS homepage and forum page.

Haveing SAS Free as alternate scanner for the time being, I do not go here too often. So far no problems, but I try find an alternative for my present security apps.

Today when I went to this page the Siteadvisor turned RED! Below is the warning:

"When we tested this site we found links to programshome.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs."

This is not a positive welcome for 'newbees', and most certainly no good 'advertising'.

Haveing SAS Free as alternate scanner for the time being, I do not go here too often. So far no problems, but I try find an alternative for my present security apps.

Today when I went to this page the Siteadvisor turned RED! Below is the warning:

"When we tested this site we found links to programshome.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs."

This is not a positive welcome for 'newbees', and most certainly no good 'advertising'.

McAfee is incorrectly listing our software and site - the are competitors - strange how they list us as "bad"........we have tried contacting them over and over, but they will not remove the listing, nor respond to us.

McAfee is incorrectly listing our software and site - the are competitors - strange how they list us as "bad"........we have tried contacting them over and over, but they will not remove the listing, nor respond to us.

Isn't that somehow illegal?

Isn't that somehow illegal?

It's possible - but you have to prove malicious intent - they are basing it on old links to general download sites that host our (and McAfees own products) that also have hosted products that possibly contain spyware. If you visit sites such as ProgramsHome.com (and they other supposed bad links) you will find many legit software and security products listed.

Mcafee is digging their own grave, i know sites who did recommand Mcafee, but now they dont recommand Mcafee anymore because of this...

PC Tools (Spyware Doctor)was in a similar case (Zango) not long ago and 'won' mainly because they had allready changed their Site Guard blocking of the particularly site.

It could be rather 'expencive' for McAfee to continue if the links does not excist.

The 'best' about the McAfee advisor is that it is 'silent' and give the user the choice. PC Tool's has a rather violent blocking.

PS: Sorry for double posting, missed it in the 'red alert' confusion. :oops:

Hi Reodor

Funny how these guards or filters work.

Our company system where web traffic is filtered by AT&T denies access to the PCTools site claiming it is an inappropriate site due to the sexual content.

I got quite interested even viewed the forum with great anticipation but I certainly can't find it! :?

Our company system where web traffic is filtered by AT&T denies access to the PCTools site claiming it is an inappropriate site due to the sexual content.

I got quite interested even viewed the forum with great anticipation but I certainly can't find it! :?

Woudn't be anything to do with all those 'love/hate' relationships that seem to go on over there :lol:

On a serious note though. During the threads on this topic 2 other programs that 'site advise', (for want of a better way of putting it), have been mentioned TrendProtect and LinkScanner, both giving SAS's site a 'green'.

I think the McAfee verdict is something that needs to be veiwed on subjectively although it is a shame of the impression it gives to a 'newbie'. Hopefully it will get corrected somewhere along the line.