fatdcuk

SAS free edition needs modification

:( I would have to disagree with you on this one xpsunny because SAS dose provide a free fully functioning detection and cleaning engine so any plugs for its pay for *Pro* should be accepted as fair game.

At the end of the day Nick and his team need to make a living afterall they do run a business.If there pay for products failed then the *free* version would disappear so maybe we should be greatful for them allowing a free version at all :P

I agree with fatdcuk.

Also, displaying "This feature is only available in the pro edition" is in no way 'quite intrusive'.

forceful intrusiveness

:?: There's no intrusion on my system.

First of all the free edition includes all the features of the pro editions

No. It clearly does not. The best way to get rid of your "forceful intrusivenes" is to spend $29.95. Since you already like the program, that's cheap insurance in a world of bloated security programs out there with much higher price tags that don't work nearly as well as SAS. :wink:

i think its a good thing users can see the options they will get if thet pay for the program.

and i dont understand how it is intrusive, and you can read what you get on the free version and the paid version, so you know what you get and what you dont when you download the free version..

ex. in the "SUPERAntiSpyware Free and Professional Comparison" there stand you cant use "Schedule" in the free version, why then click on "Schedule" in the free version if you allready know you can use this Feature.

And if you click on it anyway, what should then happen if you not would get a massage about you cant use this Feature in the free version?

it would be stupid if nothing did happen.

and its alot more easy just to add a popup(i think it is) to the buttons, then edit the whole interface of the program, and it also takes alot of time to change it (alot of time on a little thing, for people who dont pay for the program anyway).

And it would look stupid if they just removed the buttons and options that only works in the paid version..

and if they did that anyway, they then also have to do something so all the buttons and options suddenly appear igain, without you have to uninstall and install the pro version, if you pay for the program and add the license to the program..

its alot better if they use their time to find malware to the database and improve the program in other ways, for people who pay for the program.

SAS's free version provides a kick ass on demand scanner.

Nick could have easily resorted to such immoral tactics such as detecting false positives and benign remnants in order to scare you into buying his product (Spyware Doctor's tactics come to mind).

Oh! you all are misunderstanding me.................

I just wanna say that SAS free edition should be a stripped down version of SAS pro.

The quote "forceful intrusiveness" refers to annoyance of the popup window.

Let me put it in another way.....SAS's website has a comparative of SAS free vs. SAS pro. So most of the people know about the benefits of the pro version compared to the free version. Hence forth the spontaneous reminder of the features that are NOT included in free version is pointless........:)

The problem is, that if we didn't include the features in the Free Edition and have them disabled, people would never know they had the option once they downloaded the free - we tested this, and found that no one upgraded.

The problem is, that if we didn't include the features in the Free Edition and have them disabled, people would never know they had the option once they downloaded the free - we tested this, and found that no one upgraded.

How did you test it?

We tried versions without the features and with them in the product, but disabled.

Why not you maintain the current status of the free edition...regarding the popups....and entirely remove the realtime protection from the core engine while retaining that there exists a realtime protection the the Pro version.

The Free Edition and Professional are staying as they are - there is no reason to remove the real-time protection from the core engine in the Free Edition.