surferdude

SAS crashed my pc

I'm new here so pardon me if I'm in the wrong part. Because the forum members at http://forum.worldstart.com/ highly recommended SAS, I installed it with questions they never answered.

I kept it updated whenever.

All was going good till a month or so ago when I started a full scan. The screen went black & my pc (win xp home ) rebooted.

I did not restart the scan, i just continued my surfing. As they (WS) suggested "other" programs (BOClean free) I installed because they said NO CONFLICTS with anything. great:):).

Now mind you, I could do quick scans no problem but occasionally I like doing full scans.

After the 3rd reboot from trying to do a FULL scan i went here http://mypcclinic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17032

After a loooong time of enjoying your product,I finally removed it. which brings me to this point http://forum.worldstart.com/showthread.php?t=114096 Yes, when i deleted your program,i filled out the survey. Not to mention I emailed somebody there & like I told HARLEY, I'm still waiting for a reply. Thanks for your time. Here is what I have on my win xp home .

My anti virus/trojan & etc

I have

Ad-Aware S E Personal

AVG Anti-Rootkit Free

AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

AVG Free Edition

BOClean

Spybot S&D 1.5

SpywareBlaster

& Windows Defender.

On my win xp home, homemade.Fully updated

Would ANY of those conflict with SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition ??

I'm asking because "just recently" SAS was causing my pc to reboot so I removed SAS.

I read in a different forum its always best to download programs at their website. I originally downloaded mine from www.komando.com But recently I've gone to http://filihippo.com .

Thanks In Advance

All was going good till a month or so ago when I started a full scan. The screen went black & my pc (win xp home ) rebooted.

Obviously there are any number of reasons for a crash of that kind, but if that happened to me (I speak from experience), one of the things I would check is whether my processor was overheating. It's worth trying some other activity which involves high CPU usage for an extended length of time, and see if you get a similar crash.

I have the same problem with the trial version. The PC will always crash and restart at the exact same point, right near the end of the reg scan. Scans ok in safe mode. I even tried a scan with Kaspersky AV 7 disabled and SAS still reset the PC at the same point :( I've gone back to AVG AS Free but if this problem gets sorted I will buy SAS as i've heard great things about it. I'm running Win XP Pro with Kaspersky AV 7 and Windowsblinds (tried with that unloaded too), HD has no errors and PC is very stable apart from the SAS crash.

MentalM

IF its SAS Pro and you had real-time enabled, and you have real-time enabled in another antispyware program then they can conflict..

Or if you scan with more then 1 program at a time they can conflict to..

Ok, I should of clarified. As I clicked the start button for it to do a FULL scan, the screen went blank & it rebooted. I'm using the free version.Not the trial version.

To my knowledge, no other programs are running.

I don't do my scans at any specific time of day.

My pc is a home made pc & I'm an educated novice/beginner.:):)

Scanners can't inherently cause a restart. There has to be something wrong with the computer. For example, a defective ram address, hard drive overheating, or a corrupt system file.

I would try Window's memory tester, SpeedFan to monitor temps, and disabling Auto Restart On Errors. (My Computer>Properties> Startup and recovery> uncheck "Auto Restart" and apply.

I'm sorry but why do people blame everything else apart from the software that crashes? My PC is VERY stable with no errors, it runs intensive games and other apps with no problems. My AV scans ok and ALL other anti-spyware apps i've tried also scan ok, i'm using AVG AS trial at the moment and its fine. So please dont blame the PC all the time, there could be a problem with SAS.

MentalM

I have the same problem with the trial version. The PC will always crash and restart at the exact same point, right near the end of the reg scan. Scans ok in safe mode. I even tried a scan with Kaspersky AV 7 disabled and SAS still reset the PC at the same point :( I've gone back to AVG AS Free but if this problem gets sorted I will buy SAS as i've heard great things about it. I'm running Win XP Pro with Kaspersky AV 7 and Windowsblinds (tried with that unloaded too), HD has no errors and PC is very stable apart from the SAS crash.

MentalM

Have you scanned in Safe Mode?

SAS scans fine in safe mode and found just a few tracking cookies. Manager, shutdown the process of any third party programs and try the scan again.

I tried unloading as much as I could in normal mode but it still crashes.

That's actually a good sign as it narrows down the possibilities.

As you probably know, SM restricts most services, drivers, and third party applications from automatically starting. Given those three, the most likely probability is a conflict with another third party program.

Despite unloading from the system tray, many internet security applications will still leave one or more processes/services running. If you're willing, disable/shutdown the apps from the tray, open Task Manager and end the processes from other third party applications. Try the sas scan again.

Hi,

I just took a look at my processes and for some reason SAS is using nearly 50mb of memory. That cant be right, its just in the taskbar. seems a bit much as AVG used about 8 to 9mb. A mem leak maybe?

MentalM

Hi,

I just took a look at my processes and for some reason SAS is using nearly 50mb of memory. That cant be right, its just in the taskbar. seems a bit much as AVG used about 8 to 9mb. A mem leak maybe?

MentalM

Windows swaps out any unused memory, so that is not of concern. AVG and others report different amounts of memory as task manager only shows user mode memory, not kernel mode memory.

Hi,

Another thing I just noticed is the CPU usage for SAS. Every second or so it jumps to 9% then back to 0. It does this constantly on the SAS process. I have an Amd FX57 cpu.

MentalM

I'm having a very difficult time reading this. I have no idea what a ram address is nor do i have any idea what this means

"I would try Window's memory tester, SpeedFan to monitor temps, and disabling Auto Restart On Errors. (My Computer>Properties> Startup and recovery> uncheck "Auto Restart" and apply".

I'm having a very difficult time reading this. I have no idea what a ram address is nor do i have any idea what this means

"I would try Window's memory tester, SpeedFan to monitor temps, and disabling Auto Restart On Errors. (My Computer>Properties> Startup and recovery> uncheck "Auto Restart" and apply".

You said that were runing the following:

Ad-Aware 2007,

AVG Anti Rootkit Free,

AVG AntiSpyware 7.5,

AVG Free Edition,

BOClean,

Spybot S&D,

SpywareBlaster,

Spyware Guard v2.2,

SUPERAntiSpyware,

Windows Defender

& Zone Alarm.

That is a heck of a lot of internet security. As such, your issue is likely caused by a conflict.

I wouldn't be concerned right now with processor heat or memory addresses, but if you want to pursue the problem, I recommend the following:

Disable "Auto Restart On Errors". By default, when XP encounters certain errors, it simply restarts the computer. By disabling the auto restart, there is a good chance that XP will show an error code instead of restarting. If so, please post back with the full error information. To disable the Auto Restart, Right click "My Computer", choose Properties then Advanced. Now go into the settings for Startup and Recovery and uncheck "Automatically Restart".

If you still get a restart, the next step would be running the scan from Safe Mode. Safe Mode will disable the security applications from automatically running when Windows starts. You can access Safe Mode by continuously tapping F8 as the computer starts.

ok, since I first posted here I've deleted SAS. I'm no tech & some of your directions sound way way over my head. I'll "try" your directions,but no guarantees

Zonealarm do conflict with lots of programs, i cant remember what ones, but you have lots so theres a chance it will conflict with atleast one of them.

SpywareGuard DO CONFLICT with other Antispyware programs if the real-time-shield is enabled on both ones, and i can see you have Windows Defender, i KNOW spywareguard conflict with that program. (and there is no need to use spywareguard if you have another program with real-time-shield)

I also hope you remember to CLOSE ALL security programs at the taskbar when you INSTALL/UNINSTALL new security software, or there is a chance they will conflict, and with that many programs as you have theres an even bigger chance that they will conflict..

Ad-Aware 2007,

AVG Anti Rootkit Free,

AVG AntiSpyware 7.5,

AVG Free Edition,

BOClean,

Spybot S&D,

SpywareBlaster,

Spyware Guard v2.2,

SUPERAntiSpyware,

Windows Defender

& Zone Alarm.

BTW how do you get time to scan with, 5 DIFFERENT antispyware programs? (and 1 antirootkit and 1 antivirus program), when you only should run 1 program at a time..

i also think there is a conflict among your security programs. perhaps removing one at a time from you computer, and see what happens. go to search and type in the program you are removing and delete these files.

i also have spyware guard, along with windows defender, avast and superantspyware(on demand). i, here have no conflicts with these programs. i can make a routine change to my browser, and spyware guard and superantispyware, and windows defender will jump up and notify me in no certain order, one at a time. however your situation may not be the same as mine.