robinb9

Question about the Boot Safe part of Superantispyware

Superantispyware has an interesting feature in it called Boot Safe.

You can find it in Start/Programs/Superantispware

When clicking on it- it sets up an application to allow you to go into Safe mode. This is usefull if you have tried the F8 key and nothing has happened.

Once you decide which Safe Mode to check it will reboot and put you into Safe mode. Only problem with it is that you cannot re go back into the program to uncheck it to reboot once you are done. Windows comes up and tells you cannot do this in Safe Mode.

I have tested this on the Pro version and free version- same problem

If you just reboot- you will find you are in a loop because it takes you back to Safe Mode. What you need to do is Click on Run and type msconfig- and go into the Boot.ini tab and remove the check mark on "Safe Mode" then the computer will reboot normally.

Most normal users will not realize this. How come there is nothing written into the code that if someone reboots from Safe Mode it will go back into Normal Mode?

robin

Robin

This would certainly have had me baffled, Robin, if I had tried it. Thanks for pointing it out. The problem is - will I remember this, if the need arises for me to use it in the future? It would be a worthwhile improvement to have something on board that offered an appropriate option (or at least a timely explanation about what to do to get out of safe mode, before using the facility).

I have not tried it as of yet in Vista- I am wondering what would happen there since it is harder to find msconfig in vista for the average user and alot do not know how to allow the Run to appear on the Start menu.

robin

GO into safe mode and open up C:\boot.ini. You'll see /safeboot somewhere in there. Delete it. It may be /safeboot:minimal or something like that. Delete it. Save changes and reboot. You'll be back in normal booting.

but that is not the point. the program should have the ability to take you out of safe mode when you want to restart from safe mode to normal mode.

robin

the program should have the ability to take you out of safe mode when you want to restart from safe mode to normal mode.

I entirely agree. As it is, I imagine many non-tech people who use it (mind you, they have to find it, first!) will find themselves stranded.

but that is not the point. the program should have the ability to take you out of safe mode when you want to restart from safe mode to normal mode.

robin

You simply run BootSafe again and select "Normal Mode" and click the Reboot button.....

I tried that in safe mode but it would not allow me to open the program- Windows came up and said you cannot use this program in Safe Mode. This was on a computer running xp home sp2.

robin

Depending on which Safe Mode you're going into, it's easy to recover from this with a simple registry hack:

Safe Mode with Networking:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network

Safe Mode:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal

Create a new key here called MSIServer and change the "Default" value for it to "Service". Then run "services.msc" and start the Windows Installer Service. You'll be able to run SafeBoot in any of the Safe Modes.

I personally prefer this as sometimes I'll need to run application installs in Safe Mode that require Windows Installer. Not exactly sure why SafeBoot isn't a standalone executable but this is another workaround for those stuck in Safe mode boots after using this tool.