Alan D

Starting SAS at Windows startup

Could someone please explain to me why this might be a desirable option? Unless I wanted SAS to run a scan at Windows startup, under what circumstances would it be a good thing to have this option ticked, in 'Preferences' (i.e. 'Start SAS when Windows starts')?

Hi Alan D

In the case of realtime protection(Pro version) its good to have as much coverage as possible between turning on/off the computer.

For the free version(principally used for on demand scanning& cleaning where applicable)then because of how some malwares work in loading/operation it is important for SAS to load ahead of them.This is where SAS technology cuts it against the new evo's of malware.

HTH:)

Hi Alan D

In the case of realtime protection(Pro version) its good to have as much coverage as possible between turning on/off the computer.

Yes, this I understand (I have the free version, so no rtp.)

For the free version(principally used for on demand scanning& cleaning where applicable)then because of how some malwares work in loading/operation it is important for SAS to load ahead of them.This is where SAS technology cuts it against the new evo's of malware.

That's eminently clear and very helpful. Many thanks for this.

Hmmm. There's still something I'm not quite sure about, though.

Until now, I haven't had the 'start SAS at Windows startup' box ticked. In that mode, I start the program by double-clicking my desktop icon, the GUI opens up, and I can see that Superantispyware.exe appears in Task Manager. When I close the GUI, it disappears from task manager.

Now, I've ticked the box to start SAS at Windows startup (as well as the tray icon) - and Superantispyware.exe is now present in Task Manager all the time, whether the GUI is open or not. It helps itself to a chunk of memory (about 34MB) but there's no measurable CPU usage.

Could I just check that this is precisely what would be expected, and that in this mode, Superantispyware.exe never shuts down (even though there's no rtp), and that because of the fact that it's always already launched, this is a more secure mode to operate in? (I just want to be sure I understand what I'm doing, and why.)

Hmmm. There's still something I'm not quite sure about, though.

Until now, I haven't had the 'start SAS at Windows startup' box ticked. In that mode, I start the program by double-clicking my desktop icon, the GUI opens up, and I can see that Superantispyware.exe appears in Task Manager. When I close the GUI, it disappears from task manager.

Now, I've ticked the box to start SAS at Windows startup (as well as the tray icon) - and Superantispyware.exe is now present in Task Manager all the time, whether the GUI is open or not. It helps itself to a chunk of memory (about 34MB) but there's no measurable CPU usage.

Could I just check that this is precisely what would be expected, and that in this mode, Superantispyware.exe never shuts down (even though there's no rtp), and that because of the fact that it's always already launched, this is a more secure mode to operate in? (I just want to be sure I understand what I'm doing, and why.)

SUPERAntiSpyware is always loaded when the icon is running. Windows swaps out the memory, so it is not using up your system resources and is immediately available when needed.