Sign in to follow this  
Guest ROCKNROLLKID

A question for SAS

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

At the end of the installation of SAS, there is an option to send files to SAS to help find malware. Back when I use to have an xp 32bit machine i use to do that once a month to support SAS, but that was like 3 years ago. I am just wondering if you guys even check any data that is sent by that option anymore?

Hi ROCKNROLLKID,

Yes, absolutely! This data is used every day in our malware analysis effort. We use it in conjunction with our other sample sources to create definitions. IMHO, it is one of the most important resources we have. Please continue to submit a "diagnostic" to SUPERAntiSpyware if you get the chance.

Thanks,

Geoff

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Thanks for the reply. This leads me to another question I have. Back in version 4, you use to be able to see a report of what was submitted and weither it ended up clean or not. Why is that no longer avaibile anymore? I think this is useful for users who submit data.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

Yes. That seems to have been the take over. Where would one go to download that if they wee present on the homepage as it doesn't seem to be in the download section?

Hi ROCKNROLLKID,

While we thought this was a great concept, we gave it an extended trial run and it never grew in popularity.  In fact, we recieved very little input or feedback about the process, and the number of people using it was low.  As with any of the "helpful" tools we have tried over the years, it got sidelined in favor of support for our more popular or beneficial offerings -- namely, malware research and SUPERAntiSpyware itself.

Guest ROCKNROLLKID

If I may suggest, maybe adding a download link to the download section on the homepage then another news article topic on the homepage aswell might bring you more users. Alternative, try adding download links to download sites like cnet and filehippo for people to know of it or maybe include it with the SAS build in a advanced tab. Default option can have it unchecked, if you think that will be a problem for unexperienced users. It wouldn't hurt to try this. When threatcheck first came out, I only seen it in a news article from you guys on the homepage with a download link, but no where else. This will sure help you with detection when people have a infected system for people who want to help you with that.