Cody D

FP have rendered my PC virtually unusable.

Apparently I downloaded the faulty definition update (Which was only live for eight minutes.) and it found some false positives in Steam. Which at the time I didn't realize were false.  Because Steam has been acting up for me recently. So, I removed the two Trojans it found. Restarted my PC, and now something is eating up my CPU to the point were its almost unusable. What do I do? I ran Norton Power Eraser and it found three bad startup items. So I got rid of those, as well as restore the false positives, and something is still eating up my PC. I'm at a complete loss.

I've tried to system restore, with no luck. It says that no changes have been made on all of the dates I've tried. Also I've tried updating the definitions, and the program becomes locked by the system. What the hell did this update do to my computer?

Everyone is affected by the recent updates, SAS found files in Steam (probably legit) which you removed.

NPE found Start Up items which you removed/deleted, what were those items ?

Is it possible for me to go back to see what quarantined files I've restored in SAS? Same for the NPE? Because I can't remember.

You can check in SAS via Manage Quarantine or via the View Scan Logs.

In NPE I am not sure, it is not a program I would Ever recommend due to it's Inaccuracy .

I swear I saw someone on this forum recommend NPE. I guess desperation brings stupidity. As for the files SAS detected, they go as follows.

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Zbot

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\BIN\LIBCEF.DLL

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\BIN\LIBCEF.DLL

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\BIN\ICUDT.DLL

C:\PROGRAM FILES\STEAM\BIN\ICUDT.DLL

Someone did recommend NPE, I and someone else recommended NOT using it.

Those files are only likely to hurt the Steam program we still need to know what files NPE removed.

Apparently you have to manually save logs for this program. Which I didn't. So I'm SOL. The only information I can give you is somewhat vague. It was 3 files, and 2 of them were Skype files. I do recall that they were all .dll files.

Not much I can do with that.

If you have a Repair disc you may be able to run repairs which May fix the cpu issues (assuming that is related to the files that were removed, although Skype shouldn't cause this).

Nevermind. I was completely wrong. I found what it removed, and now that I see what these files were for... its kind of puzzling to me. It removed a .exe for a game that I haven't played in months. A registry key for dell support center. Plus whatever the following is \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"fymcfqauqv" I take it I should undo this?

Difficult to call, that could be a legit file for a security program or something else.

What do other Malware programs bring up ?

Just one other one, I'd have to re-scan to get its name. Which will take awhile, but I'll do if it's info we need.

It didn't brick. Nice. It seems to be checking for definition updates. Just taking a much much longer time.