km2013

SuperAntiSpyware detecting SuperAntiSpyware.exe as trojan

After updating the database definitions and running SAS tonight, it is now detecting superantispyware.exe as the trojan gen-zbot, twice, with two seperate icons, and also another file. The pathnames it's detecting are copied below from the log.

C:\PROGRAM FILES\SUPERANTISPYWARE\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Windows\Prefetch\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE-D7978FB2.pf

I've run Avast and that finds nothing, I've also run Malwarebyte Anti-Malware and that detects nothing.

If it was a different file I'd think it was a false-positive, but as it's the SAS exe itself, I'm concerned that it's not a false positive.

Any suggestions?

I'm running on XP. How can I tell whether it's 32 or 64 bit that I'm running? I'm assuming 32 bit but not sure.

Okay cheers, thanks. Will try that in the morning and see if that clears things up.

Do you think it could be a Trojan/infected then?

I don't think so.

It's more than likely a loose file that's not been removed/rewritten during the update.

If it was an infection it's likely that either Avast or MBAM would've detected it as well.

Also if you haven't already, try re-starting your computer (sometimes a reboot works wonders).

Have seen those Madeline and reported them in but cannot do anything at this stage until the next batch of def updates are released.

Just FYI :)

I also got what appears to be a False Positive.  I ran SAS and it picked up a CRITICAL THREAT, i.e.

Trojan.Agent/Gen-Zbot
    C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE-07994D9B.pf

When removed, it also removed SAS, which I was unable to reinstall from the site.  I have the professional version of SAS and it is updated and a scan is run daily.  I did a system restore to the previous day, which allowed me to re-install SAS, only to have it detect the same 'Critical Threat."

Have seen those Madeline and reported them in but cannot do anything at this stage until the next batch of def updates are released.

Just FYI :)

Thanks GuiltySpark. All's well now since recent updates.

Madeline

I'm guessing it's 32 bit as 64 bit XP machines are rare.

Although 2 Gigs Ram is a waste in XP 32 bit, as it doesn't use more than 1 Gig.....

Wrong....

Although 2 Gigs Ram is a waste in XP 32 bit, as it doesn't use more than 1 Gig.

Sorry, this part  ^^^^

GuiltySpark.I agree with Bubbajoe.

32-bit Windows has an address space of 4GB. Part of that is used by system BIOSes and graphics memory.

With a 256MB graphics card about 3.3-3.5GB of RAM can be addressed and used, assuming you have 4GB fitted.

If you fit a graphics card with 1GB of memory only about 2.6-2.8GB of the RAM would be addressable and usable.

Doogie,

You're confusing hardware with software.

The amount of RAM usable by a MOBO for example will allow for however much it is designed to cope with, this can be anything from 1Gig+ depending on manufacturers spec.

The software however, dictates how much RAM can actually be used with the OS.

In this case (XP) the OS will run on 64MB (recommended) but a max of just under 1Gig (in a 32bit version of XP) any more does become wasted.