JIP

Spy.Banker.AEC not detected

Greetings

I installed the trial version of Spyware Doctor to compare it with SuperAntiSpyware, and it says I have a trojan Spy.Banker.AEC.

However SuperAntispyware does not find this, and nether does Spybot or Adaware or Nod32.

Spyware Doctor won't tell me where it is or let me delete it without

subscribing.

Is this likely to be real, or is SD one of these that gives false positives

to pressure you into buying?

Greetings

I installed the trial version of Spyware Doctor to compare it with SuperAntiSpyware, and it says I have a trojan Spy.Banker.AEC.

However SuperAntispyware does not find this, and nether does Spybot or Adaware or Nod32.

Spyware Doctor won't tell me where it is or let me delete it without

subscribing.

Is this likely to be real, or is SD one of these that gives false positives

to pressure you into buying?

It may be a false positive - it's hard to tell if you can't find where it's located.

It has been commented upon many times before, in the Spyware Doctor Forum that the programme is particularly good at finding all kinds of malware on a PC during the trial run.

Much more effective many say than after the subscription has been paid. :lol:

You could always try the free SD Google pack version which does have a removal capability to see if that also identifies the malware and if so its location and if it does report back.

I must confess having used both my trust would be in SuperAntiSpyware but no programme catches 100% of malware.

Thanks for that - I just uninstalled SD, reinstalled the Google Pack version, and it "found" one or two other nasties, but not the one i originally posted about. I let it remove the newfound stuff, uninstalled, and reinstalled the trial version - and this time it found nothing!!!!

I think I'll stay with SAS

A couple of weeks ago I helped out a poster on another forum who was trying out SD. SD reported malware but SAS did not. Turned out to be false positives.

SD is known for dubios business practices.

Another thing to consider is resource usage, especially if you want to use all the on-guard tools in SD. With the infamous hogger of resources Norton having addressed this with NIS 2007 I think SD can now confidently steal the crown of being one of the biggest resource hoggers and causes of system lags, even over a security suite, on the market.

SAS Pro on the other hand is as light as feather for real-time protection and gets along with other security applications you may use. I have no regrets in making the switch based on this alone. :wink: