Sign in to follow this  
ZDBP

SAS stopped finding cookies

My SAS scans used to always find tracking cookies.  In fact, that was the only thing my scans ever found.  I still have my preferences set to find cookies but for the last week all my scans have come out totally clean.

A week or so ago I received an email that turned out to be from a hijacked account.  I opened the email but did not click on the enclosed link and deleted the email.  I've since received several more emails from the same bogus sender, which I have deleted immediately.  Could opening a questionable email have done something to "hijack" my SAS program so it wouldn't detect problems?  Or, if this is just a coincidence why would SAS suddenly stop finding cookies?

When cookies are not detected, it generally means: cookie scanning has been disabled in Preferences>Scanning Control, your browser settings have been changed to block cookies (which can happen with a browser update), or another program is removing the cookies.

"or another program is removing the cookies."  I think that's what I'm concerned about.  I haven't upgraded my browser or changed security options and SAS is still set to scan for cookies, so is there a possibility that a malware program has gotten on my computer and is disabling the effectiveness of SAS?  SAS still finds cookies on my laptop.

I've heard that there are malware programs that will disable virus protection.  Can they do this without you realizing something's wrong other than that scans never pick up anything.  My SAS updates download okay.  The program looks like it's running normally, but it bothers me that something that used to always show up in a scan no longer does.

I may just have to take my computer in to a tech to check it out to put my mind at ease since I did get those pesky emails that were obvious phishing expeditions.

It is unlikely your issue is related to malware. If you'd like to create a support ticket, we can confirm that the program is checking the correct locations for cookies via a diagnostic.