Element7

Win32/Wapomi.E detected in Manual definitions.

10 weeks now and no reply about this issue.  Support.com is just doing the Ostrich act...  Not very impressive.....

4 full months and not a peep from these guys.  pretty much tells me that a tech did the update from an infected home computer.  nice quality control!!!

18 weeks and still no reply.  Gonna keep this alive until someone from Support.com replies....

Sometimes sh*t happens that shouldn't do, that's life.

Best just to forget about it.

We apologize for keeping you waiting so long for a response to your post.  We realize that our definitions release on March 24, 2013 triggered some third-party anti-virus systems to flag a threat.  We cannot share the details on what happened because our corporate policy is not to reveal information at that level of how we handle and process our definition updates, but please know that we sincerely regret any inconvenience that it may have caused, and we have done our best to ensure this sort of incident won’t happen again.  As you know, no developer is capable of identifying and preventing all threats all the time.  We strive for perfection but don’t always achieve it.  We appreciate very much the efforts by you and many others to help us in the fight against malware by alerting us to problems, even, as in this case, a problem with reports about our own release.  We were able to address it immediately at the time, although again we apologize for not responding to your posts here sooner.  We hope we can count on your continued help and support in this area as we work with our user base and the industry at large to address the constant and ever-evolving threats to our customers’ systems.

^^^^ You mean to say that you can't reveal to the public that one of your techs uploaded an infected update from his/her home computer...

And once again, you fail to tell the whole truth.  There wasn't a single AV that didn't flag that update as a threat....

But thanks for waiting 23 weeks before finally coming up with a total BS reply.  Really give me confidence in support.com.  I won't be reselling anymore...so long...

We realize that our definitions release on March 24, 2013 triggered some third-party anti-virus systems to flag a threat.

To put it more bluntly your manual definition updater was infected with an operating system destroying, file infecting, backdoor virus, and you don't want to tell us how it happened or what you are doing to prevent recurrences. (whatever the truth is I take that it must be worse than "anti-malware vendor carelessly distributes nasty malware to it's customers in malware protection update" – at least that's where you left off giving us info)

Bubbajoe, given that this statement was mentioned by nightkawkext

We cannot share the details on what happened because our corporate policy is not to reveal information at that level of how we handle and process our definition updates

That should tell you that they cannot divulge that kind of info, they have already acknowledged and apologized for the incident. Now if you feel that you have to continue asking even though it states that 'corporate policy prevents that' then I'm afraid you are wasting your time.

I appreciate the fact that you would like an answer but it is not possible to give you what you want.

No, it tells me they have lax procedures and allow their techs to push updates from home computers.

They are just using "corporate policy" as an excuse to  hide their ineptness in this matter.

I guess what's important to remember that this should only happen again from time to time. You know, they'll only destroy your OS once every few years or less often than that. The malware will only compromise your computer through your malware protection (SAS) and steal all your sensitive info the next time they slip up. That probably won't happen again until everyone forgets about this.