Sign in to follow this  
urgh_brokenpc

uninstalled now computer finds new hardware SASKUTIL

I can only assume the last update to the free version installed incorrectly as it greatly slowed my computer and would not startup after full shutdown but a quick reboot worked. I did a full uninstall of your program, then defrag & disk cleanup, ran ccleaner, and finally an Avast full system scan. Resuted no warnings or problems. Rebooted computer got the Hardware Mgr. wanting to install new unknown hardware. Checked device manager the unknown device id is ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL\0000. Searched around the internet and found saskutil.sys to be one of your files, it does not reside in files but is in the registry in

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL 

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\SERVICES\SASKUTIL

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL\0000\CONTROL

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET002\SERVICES\SASKUTIL

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\ENUM\ROOT\LEGACY_SASKUTIL

MY COMPUTER\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\SASKUTIL

Everything I've been able to find online says saskutil is yours. Is this a normal for your program to install itself as a device? Is it ok for me to delete these registry keys and remove the unknown hardware as the program is no longer installed?Using WinXP Home Edition SP3

the uninstall utility was posted in 2008 and the last comments on that post were 2010. i need a more current answer. i assume that the software has been updated a mulitude of times and in those updates the company should have included a fix to remove the saskutil drivers and reg keys. i have searched the windows forums, bleeping computer, geek, etc they all point to the same issue being found more recently than 2010. these keys aren't indicated as software items if they were a reg cleaner would indicate them as unnecessary files with no related programs.

"SAS Customer Service" it is redundant to install a program just to uninstall a few components that remained after a falied or incomplete uninstall attempt. The only time one would ever need to install the full program to perform a complete uninstall is if the uninstaller was only available as a bundle with the full program. In the case of SAS, the uninstaller utility can be installed separately therefore there is no need to install the full program again. I ran the uninstall program successfully all traces of SAS are gone. No more missing hardware plugins and no more registry keys exist. Thank you for the link and the prompt response.
I hope this helps others with similar issues.