Sign in to follow this  
Rob4761

Diagnostic Report

I was tinkering about in the program and in Preferences->Help there is a hyperlink at the bottom of the page entitled 'Click here to submit a diagnostic report if requested by customer service'. I had to click it to see what happens! A scan of my system appeared to take place, but before it could finish, I switched off wireless so nothing could be sent.

My question is, would anything have been sent the next time I was connected to the Internet and SAS run? I've used SuperAntiSpyware for around 6 years, and trust it as one of the tools I use to secure my machines, but things like that worry me slightly!

I'm using the free version by the way.

Hi Rob4761 ,

If you have exited out of SAS fully (open task manager and select SAS and hit End Process) then restart SAS and nothing will have been sent.

Just turning off the net connection alone will not stop the Diagnostic (scanning) process, by exiting out through TM you should be wiping the diagnostic scan clean so nothing will be sent.

I didn't have the option 'Start SuperAntiSpyware when Windows starts' enabled, therefore nothing was running in the background to stop (although !SASCORE is running under 'services').

Actually, I clicked the link again without a net connection to take a closer look at the process, and only reconnected to the Internet after shutting the program down. Will this have deleted any log generated?

What does the log actually contain? And how is a user of the free edition identified? SAS also only has outgoing (client) access through my firewall, so is this enough to send a log file back to the SAS server?

Actually, I clicked the link again without a net connection to take a closer look at the process, and only reconnected to the Internet after shutting the program down. Will this have deleted any log generated?

It should do, I can't say for definite but I don't see why it should wait on the system as it could be sitting there for ages, in which time things could've changed so it would make no sense to for it to 'hang around'.

What does the log actually contain?

The log contains information about the SAS program and any conflicts that it may have encountered.

And how is a user of the free edition identified?

There is an ID number just under the submition link, this combined with a Users post on the forum + when SASCS asks for the diagnostic report to be submitted.

SAS also only has outgoing (client) access through my firewall, so is this enough to send a log file back to the SAS server?

Possibly, if you can receive definition updates then it should also be able to send a log file.

The log contains information about the SAS program and any conflicts that it may have encountered.

So, nothing personal from your machine other than SAS internal specifics?

There is an ID number just under the submition link, this combined with a Users post on the forum + when SASCS asks for the diagnostic report to be submitted.

So if some idiot (ahem :oops:) just clicks that link without being asked, then it is of no use if sent as there is nothing unique to identify that person!?

So, nothing personal from your machine other than SAS internal specifics?

Correct : https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=35

So if some idiot just clicks that link without being asked after a forum post, then it is of no use if sent as there is nothing unique to identify that person!?

For the answer to this I would submit a Customer Support Request (CSR) ticket : https://www.superantispyware.com/precreateticket.html

SASCS will be able to tell you more in depth about the product if you have any concerns :)

Thanks, you've allayed my worries. Just thought I might have compromised my security by clicking that link.

There again, if SAS was after your personal stuff, it could just grab whatever it wanted during any scan and phone home at any time............

It could if it was designed that way, but it's not so there is no need for concern unless you have something incriminating that you're trying to hide, in which case SAS would be the least of your worries :lol:

And I've been practising my Aspergers routine just in case they come looking for all those alien files I lifted from the government, only to shoot myself in the foot and send it all to SAS.......