Sign in to follow this  
Max21

SuperAntiSpyware connect problems

I turned on my computer this morning with an error report that said SuperAntiSpyware was not working and had to shut down.

I closed it and opened Firefox, and I didn't have an internet connection. But the strange thing was that it wasn't the regular "Cannot display this webpage" screen. It was my internet providers page, with my modem's logo, "Motorola".

It had my user ID and password entered with a button that said "Connect". The URL for the page was what I assume is my IP address. I've never seen a page like this before. My Firefox got an update last night, could that be a reason for the change?

I closed firefox, unplugged my modem and replugged it. The internet worked fine.

I then opened SAS and checked for Updates, but it didn't connect to the internet. I had SAS version 5.0-something. The update to newest version of SAS came up at the bottom right of my screen. (It's been doing that for a while, i just hadn't updated it yet.) So i tried the update and it worked fine, I have version 5.06.1014. I rebooted my comp, got the definition updates and scanned my comp. Picked up ad-ware cookies, but that's it.

I turned on my comp a few hours later and I got the same error report message. Opened SAS and the connection for updates failed. Opened Firefox and the same "internet connection is down" page came up. I unplugged my modem again and internet was back to normal.

any one have any ideas what the problem might be and how to fix it?

Okay thanks, I'll give it a try.

Also, what will happen to all my quarantine files when I uninstall SAS?

They will be deleted/removed/non existent, what files are in there dangerous ones or tracking cookies ?

most are just tracking cookies, but there is a Trojan in there also. it's CERTINSTALL.EXE

Sorry for delay, network issues bad weather.

As a general rule of thumb with XP I would remove that as XP is not very secure anyway. That file has been regarded as a keylogger but the jury is still out on that one.

That's fine.

okay, so I should just click the "delete all" before I uninstall/reinstall?

Thanks for all the help.

If it will delete then yes if not go through the uninstall/re-install process and run a Full Scan.

A Full scan should be run when you re-install the program anyway just to be on the safe side, and also keep your Anti-Virus up to date.

It worked, Now i'll try the uninstall and see what happens

weird thing is that in the Add/remove program list, it says the program hasn't been used since November. Even though I've used it several times over theses last few months.

Don't forget to re-start the machine in between uninstalls to get rid of all files, a lot of people make that mistake and wonder why it won't re-install.

done, It installed and was already updated, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Thanks

side question: Do you recommend the use of the "modified files within the last [#] of days" option for scans?

I'm away from computer at the mo doing all this from phone so I'll have to get back to you on that, however I tend to just use the basic full scan and other scanners and bootable AVs as second opinions to SAS and MSE.

But glad everythings working for you again all you need now is to research various programs to aid your security :)

Turned on my Computer this morning and the same thing happened.

I was greeted with a message saying the SAS Update application encountered a problem and needs to close. Tried the internet and it was disconnected. Tried SAS updates and they failed.

Is Norton or MBAM running a scan/updating at the same time of trying to update SAS ?

You may have to adjust/disable Norton momentarily to see if it updates, although I don't think this is necessary.

What is running in the background (program wise) ?

Will it update in Safe mode ?

Nope, nothing else is running when I try to update SAS.

But I just checked Norton's full security history and It was Blocking "Unauthorized access by SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE"

also blocked msiexec.exe and drwtsn32.exe