Sign in to follow this  
jadda

Tested SAS, AVG AS and Ad-Aware on infected computer!!

Hello.

I had an old and highly infected computer with al the viruses and spyware you can imagine. The computer has had an outdated antivirus since 2003. I have never scanned with neither antivirus nor an antispyware program since I got it for free :wink: So I just wanted to check how long the computer and how infected it would be after many years.

NOTE: number of spyware/viruses does not contain cookies.

Ad-Aware 2007:

After a complete scan it found 237 infected files.

AVG AS:

AVG Anti-Spyware found 268 infected files.

SAS:

SuperAntiSpyware found after a complete scan, 325 infected files.

I'm really impressed! SAS is amazing. And I think SAS have the best description of where the infected files was found.

I know that AVG AS is also a great product, but that SAS found so much more spyware/viruses is really cool.

Nick, I just have to say. You have made a really great product. Don't let go of this technology you and your team use. It's unique.

Tip of the day: Do NOT sell you product to bigger companies. I've seen it before, they just mess up the product.

Thank you jadda.

Did you disable "Scan For Tracking Cookies" in each scanner?

Thank you jadda.

Did you disable "Scan For Tracking Cookies" in each scanner?

Thanks for your reply.

No, I just didn't count the cookies. Just ignored them.

Though it would be easier just to do what you said, but I didn't think about that at the time :D

You're welcome.

When you compare antimalware products and are scanning for tracking cookies, be aware that some scanners won't show the infection as a harmless cookie unless you manually look at the path.

For example, Spybot will show ominous sounding infections, but if you click on the "+" beside the infection, some will be nothing more than cookies.

You're welcome.

When you compare antimalware products and are scanning for tracking cookies, be aware that some scanners won't show the infection as a harmless cookie unless you manually look at the path.

For example, Spybot will show ominous sounding infections, but if you click on the "+" beside the infection, some will be nothing more than cookies.

Ok, I'm wasn't aware of that. But I when the scanners was done, it stood example: 15 tracking cookies found.

And I just took away the number of cookies in the result. I did check the results properly, so it should be quite correct.

But thanks for the tip and information, I will uncheck "scan for cookies" next time, so the results will be absolutly correct.

Thanks Seth :wink:

I just wanted to check how long the computer and how infected it would be after many years.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but I wonder if it would be possible to use your infested machine to see how well each program does at REMOVING them as well as detecting. What I have in mind is:

(a) Set a system restore point

(B) Ask SAS to remove the threats and see how well it does.

© Restore to the previous system state and run the tests again

(d) See how well Adaware does at removing the threats

etc etc.

Would this work? One problem may be that whichever program ran the first test will probably remove stuff from System Volume Information and thereby make the restore point unusable.

Still, it would be interesting to see how SAS coped with such a mass of infestation.

I just wanted to check how long the computer and how infected it would be after many years.

I'm not sure how well this would work, but I wonder if it would be possible use your infested machine to see how well each program does at REMOVING them as well as detecting. What I have in mind is:

(a) Set a system restore point

(B) Ask SAS to remove the threats and see how well it does.

© Restore to the previous system state and run the tests again

(d) See how well Adaware does at removing the threats

etc etc.

Would this work? One problem may be that whichever program ran the first test will probably remove stuff from System Volume Information and thereby make the restore point unusable.

Still, it would be interesting to see how SAS coped with such a mass of infestation.

Hello Alan D.

The idea sounds really good. I'm wondering to how each program will remove all the threats.

I haven't removed the spyware yet, so I can try it out the next couple of days. And I'll give all of you a report.