nighthawkext

SUPERAntiSpyware Pre-Release 5.6 Download

Update :

Full scan run yesterday and Full scan run today.

No programs removed just one added today but Memory results are different.

http://www.screencast.com/t/n382y0c5

http://www.screencast.com/t/zPfOVjrr

Am wondering why this is still occurring ?

I looked at the two images you linked to. The registry items were exactly the same in both. The only real difference was memory items and that can vary per run based on what processes and DLLs are loaded.

Free pre-release version is now updating to :

Core : 9312

Trace : 7124

Still a little off from the main page which is showing :

Core : 9313

Trace : 7125

The definition in the pre-release and the actual release will not be in-sync for the near future. This is not a bug. It's just how we have to manage it for now.

This applies to Windows 7 SP1 x86 and x64 Professional with SAS PRO V5.6.1004,

V5.6 is scanning some 23,000+ LESS registry keys than V5.5. Turning off Direct Access on the registry does not change anything. This registry discrepancy applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 SP1; however, on 32-bit the discrepancy is somewhat lower.

On Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional: SAS Pro V5.6.1004 Complete Scan.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 09/26/2012 at 00:32 AM

Application Version : 5.6.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 9282

Trace Rules Database Version: 7094

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:26:51

Operating System Information

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, Service Pack 1 (Build 6.01.7601)

UAC Off - Administrator

Memory items scanned : 623

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 43929

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 52492

File threats detected : 0

On Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional: SAS Pro V5.5.1022 Complete Scan.

Generated 09/26/2012 at 01:10 AM

Application Version : 5.5.1022

Core Rules Database Version : 9292

Trace Rules Database Version: 7104

Total Scan Time : 00:34:22

UAC Off - Administrator

Memory items scanned : 624

Registry items scanned : 67061

File items scanned : 52514

Also note the update issue for core/trace files as per my previous post.

Thank you for catching this. We have fixed the issue. You will see a resolution in the next pre-release we do next week.

Thanks

Don

The new beta has the some STUPID problem never fixed in previous version

- Very bad translation

The tranbslation (except for english) are very bad.

The italian language is a mix of italian and english text.

Many terms are nor present in language file and the GUI is a mix of bad italian and english.

I propose many timrs (please check the forum) a revision of italian language and feedbacks with screenshoots about missing translation in the GUI.

Resuilt: Nothing. Stupid translation in italian and a mix of italian and english (the language files are dated 2008 and never changed)

They have the translation but don't want to use it and continue to use a italian language that it's an offense for italian users.

- Installer don't use ProgramFiles variable

The installer create SAS program group not under localized version of Program group (it change in different Windows localized version and program group name is pointed by ProgramFiels variable) but always under "Programs".

But Programs group name change in different Windows localized version.

Result in Italian windows the program is unser Start menu -> Programs instead Start -> Programmi.

Many tiems reported and many times ignored.

Why the developer ignore so stupid problem?

The new beta has the some STUPID problem never fixed in previous version

- Very bad translation

The tranbslation (except for english) are very bad.

The italian language is a mix of italian and english text.

Many terms are nor present in language file and the GUI is a mix of bad italian and english.

I propose many timrs (please check the forum) a revision of italian language and feedbacks with screenshoots about missing translation in the GUI.

Resuilt: Nothing. Stupid translation in italian and a mix of italian and english (the language files are dated 2008 and never changed)

They have the translation but don't want to use it and continue to use a italian language that it's an offense for italian users.

- Installer don't use ProgramFiles variable

The installer create SAS program group not under localized version of Program group (it change in different Windows localized version and program group name is pointed by ProgramFiels variable) but always under "Programs".

But Programs group name change in different Windows localized version.

Result in Italian windows the program is unser Start menu -> Programs instead Start -> Programmi.

Many tiems reported and many times ignored.

Why the developer ignore so stupid problem?

Changing language files is not a quick process due to the necessity to validate each translation. We will look into the problems with the Italian translation.

The installer does use the appropriate system variables for all install locations. We will definitely see if there is a problem in this area. Thank you for the good information.

When is next release out? thank you

We are working hard to verify this pre-release and, without any complications, may have a version available in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

There is an updated version of the pre-release posted. It is version 5.6.1006. This has a fix for the issue siliconman found. As well as a fix for the start->programs issue that bovirus found.

Please test if you have the time.

This is on Windows 7 SP1 x86 and x64 Professional with SAS Pro V5.6.1006.

Complete scan worked well and the registry scan issue appears to be fixed. Below is a scan report from Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional system.

Generated 10/02/2012 at 00:56 AM

Application Version : 5.6.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 9325

Trace Rules Database Version: 7137

Total Scan Time : 00:29:25

UAC Off - Administrator

Memory items scanned : 620

Registry items scanned : 71509

File items scanned : 50609

HOWEVER, following the completion of the Complete Scan the "Handles" remained at their high level of 1619 handles (1219 on x86) for Superantispyware.exe. Prior to the scan, the handles were down at 388 (290 on x86). The handles should drop back following the completion of scan so there is a bug here.

During the complete scan, the memory usage got as high as 92 mbytes; whereas, with SAS Pro V5.5.1022 the memory usage surges as high as 500 mbytes RAM.

@Siliconman - I can't reproduce the handle usage going up during the scan. Is there any way you can isolate what part of the scan this occurs in? Is this new to version 5.6?

Thanks

Don

Don,

On Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional, the major increase in handles during a complete scan occurs when SAS is scanning the C:\Windows\System32, C:\Windows\SysWOW64, and C:\Windows\WinSXS folders with about 400 handles increase in just the WinSXS folder alone.

I have sent you an e-mail showing the handles increase at various stages of the Complete Scan.

Yes, it appears to be new to V5.6. V5.5 handles would increase to approximately the same level, but then would drop back significantly after the scan window closed.

I installed this pro version on an old Dell running XP SP3 and it seems to chart faster. There is not much difference in scan times, maybe none, really. I also put a copy of the free version on a Core i7 system running Win 7 pro 64-bit and it ran fine there, though it did flag a search application as a Trojan and that application had not been flagged by any other anti-malware in more than a year since it was installed. I submitted it as a possible false positive. Restoring the file from quarantine may have resulted in its not working properly. It can be reinstalled if necessary, or its files can be accessed using Apache OpenOffice.

The next day I did reinstall the subject program and it worked the same as it did when restored by SAS, so I can state with confidence that SAS did no harm. I did not think it had done any harm, but reinstalling proved to me that it is the program itself that does not function quite as it seems it should. Certain features simply don't work, but it is an older program and no longer offered by that vendor.

Updated to 5.6.1006

Core 9337

Trace 7149

10-3-2012 0230 PM PDT

Database Version 9335

Windows Vista

Just finished Full Scan. Everything looks good

I'm curious to see what happens. I'm using

Google Chrome 22.0.1229.79m browser

Just used one of the links again to download

and save the Pro version. Everything is ok.

Core 9346

Trace 7158

Database Version 9346

10/05/2012 03:45 AM PDT

Interested in outcome, as I'm retired and learning. I even

checked firewall and anti virus to make sure sites weren't

listed as ok and not to be blocked. Maybe that doesn't

make sense, but thought I'd mention that.

Good luck chocka.

THANKS FOR A GREAT UPGRADE!

It works great! It seems you have killed off the Process List "feature". That was a known memory hog ever since it was introduced as an optional "feature" some years ago. Taking it out was apparently one key to fixing the momory leak issues in limited-RAM 32-bit single-core Windows XP systems. But I noticed that there appear to be significant other improvements under the hood in SAS CORE and the updater. That's a great help in this limited-resources Windows XP laptop. I've never seen a full-service AV/AS program update as fast as this pre-release version of SAS Free.

I run on a single-core PentiumP4 rocessor with 512MB of total system RAM and no graphics memory. So you can see my resources limitations.

(I also have a much mmore modern laptop, and it runs Windows 8 RP. I'll be testing this pre-release in there soon. Running SAS 5.5 in Win 7 Compatibility Mode seems a bit risky.)

I think this one's ready for release, if it indeed isn't skipping any memory or Registry items in the Full Scans. Once the definitions files are aligned with the current naming schemes, things should be ready for full release. In fact, the dates on the pre-release definitions updates files are correct.

Older 5.5 version was using SAS Core at 200MB RAM. New 5.6 version steady-state (not scanning) at less than 2MB RAM usage. Very major improvement! (All RAM usages determined by Windows XP Task Manager.)

Thanks again for a great free antispyware product!

BTW, I downloaded from the link for the free edition supplied by Nighthawkext in this thread. The link works for me in Firefox 15.0.1 with NoScript and Ghostery, but SuperAntispyware.com temporarily allowed to run scripts.

Update: Also works as a 64-bit install in Windows 8 RP. This one's a keeper!

Today, I was very pleased my download started, but at 99,9% it stopped and after several minutes I get an error: cannot download because of timeout. Last I tired with the laptop of friend, no succes so far to download new version. Also the popup after starting SAS, don't work. So far no progress.

After trying for several days I finally got rid of 5.6.1008 and now have 5.6.1010. Don't know if there's much difference but at least I finally got it changed. Whenever I went to the different sites they said I was downloading 5.6.1010, But in reality I was downloading 5.6.1008. This started getting me frustrated. So this morning, 10/14/2012, after breakfast, I started fresh. I first went to my download file and deleted all files having to do with SAS downloads. Then I went to Control Panel, then to Programs & Features and uninstalled anything listed having to do with SAS. Then went to Desktop file with trashcan and emptied it. Then I restarted computer twice. Then I went to SAS.com site and downloaded and installed 5.6.1010. Then I ran the quick scan. Came up with

Database 9402

Core 9402

Trace 7214

10/14/2012

Don't know what was keeping me from getting 5.6.1010, and always getting 5.6.1008, but it's fixed now. Never had this problem in the years I've used SAS. Must have been a glitch here.