Sign in to follow this  
Wild4fire

32-bit version installing on 64-bit Windows 8?

I just installed Windows 8 and of course, I installed SAS Pro for additional protection. I made sure to download the latest version, however it seems there's an issue with SAS and Windows 8: I'm running 64-bit Windows 8 but the SAS setup installs the 32-bit version of SAS.

Is this a known bug and if so, any indications when this bug will be squashed?

Our setup program detects the 32 or 64 bit state of the operating system using Microsoft's standard methodology... at least it was standard for Windows 7 and below. Odds are they've changed something in Windows 8. It's typical for MS to publish a Release Candidate for developers prior to the consumer release, so we'll have a little time to test and fix any bugs that pop up. You may want to try running the setup program in Win7 compatibility mode (create a shortcut to the SAS Setup EXE, go to the properties of the shortcut, select the compatibility tab).

There have already been three pre-release versions: the Developer Preview, the Consumer Preview and the Release Candidate. Seems to me there's already been ample opportunity to test things out and fix them where necessary.

By the way, I'm not running a release candidate but the actual final release of Windows 8. I have access to Microsoft TechNet and as such I'm running the RTM-version of Windows 8 - the version as it will be released to the public on October.

To rule out the problem was a temporary quirk, I'll try installing it again -- just to be sure :)

--- Edit: just tried it again. Apparently, something has changed in Windows 8, as you suggested. The installer seems to think it's running on a 32-bit Windows. I then tried to run the setup in Windows 7 compatibility mode, that worked as intended and it installed the 64-bit version.

Obviously, this is an issue that clearly needs to be adressed because it's occuring on the RTM-release of Windows 8. I'd be happy to volunteer to test a new installer.