DCrosen

Computer Shutting Down When Scanning with SAS

Hi, I just updated SAS and after it scans for a while it shuts my computer down. It has done this twice. Please help.

Try this:

Open SUPERAntiSpyware, click on Preferences, go to the Scanning Control tab, and then UNCHECK the 2nd to last, 3rd to last, and 4th to last options in the list -- they will be named 'Kernel Direct File', 'Kernel Direct Registry' and 'Direct Disk'. Please UNCHECK these. Exit SUPERAntiSpyware by right-clicking the bug icon and clicking "Exit," then restart it and run a scan.

Regards,

SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Service

Thanks for the quick reply and easy instructions. I know a little about computers, but am not an expert. I will try your suggestion. Will I have to do this again in the future? I did notice it was picking up over 200 Adware threats before it shut down if that means anything.

These options can cause issues such as restarting on some systems.

Kernel Direct File Access

This option allows SUPERAntiSpyware to use our "kernel direct" technology that can find spyware that attempts to hide itself from the operating system. If you experience problems while scanning, disable this option.

Kernel Direct Registry Access

This option allows SUPERAntiSpyware to use our "kernel direct" technology that can find spyware that attempts to hide itself from the operating system. If you experience problems while scanning, disable this option.

Direct Disk Access

This option allows SUPERAntiSpyware to bypass the Windows API and access the disk directly so that no file can "hide" from being scanned. This currently works for NTFS volumes only.

The computer does not restart. I have only used a SAS scan once and don't think it restarted my computer by itself. Is this right?

The computer does not restart. I have only used a SAS scan once and don't think it restarted my computer by itself. Is this right?

SUPERAntiSpyware will not shut down your computer unless you are running a scheduled scan, the scan has completed, and you have configured the scheduled scan to shut down after completion. In manual scans it will prompt you to reboot after the scan has finished. Please create a support ticket at superantispyware.com/csr. If you have already done so we will respond shortly.

How do I update to SP3? I can't do a support ticket right now because I have to go away. I will do it as soon as possble. When is the latest I can do it?

How will the request work? Will we do a live chat or will it be through email or what? Thanks for your time especially since I have the free edition.

DCrosen ,

I don't know about the csr ticket but to update XP to SP3 you will have to check Windows Updates it should appear in there.

Yea, I went to the Microsoft website and updated to SP3 and Internet Explorer 8 and now when my computer restarts it keeps going to disk check.

It will at first but if it keeps happening open up a command prompt (you may need the disc for this I can't remember XP all that well)

(Preferably do this as Administrator)

1. Type chkdsk /f (may work on XP)

2. Hit Enter

3. Select 'N' for no

Although the chkdsk should sort itself out automatically its usually a small defence mechanism to make sure the disk can handle the new info being written, among other things.

Gulity Spark, I noticed that you said I was running IE8 before I thought I had updated to it. I had tried in the past, but it wouldn't work. Last night I got a blue screen the first time and then when it seemed to load, the disk check truncated alot of Internet Explorer files. Well, now after updating to SP3 and IE8, IE nor Firefox will load on Aol 9.7. The automatic updater is seeming to work now, but while it was downloading the computer shut down. Any ideas?

Guilty Spark, everything is working now so I don't know what is going on. I guess now I'll creat my ticket. I did one sunday, but never heard anything.

Guilty Spark, now when I look at when you hacked my computer it says I was running Firefox which is what I thought when I first looked at it. Awhile ago it said I was running IE8!

Just ran SUPERAntiSpyware again and it did fine. It did not shut my computer down and manually let me get rid of the threats.Will try again tomorrow or day after. Would still like to know how it works when you file a csr. Guilty Spark, on my one of my earlier posts I meant to say that only AOL 9.7 would run.

Glad you got it sorted. As to the AOL problem, AOL ARE a problem alwys have been, but arew you referring to the browser or the connection ?

Either way I would contact AOL on that one.