Sign in to follow this  
Veritor

Question on what Trace.Known means, exactly

I have a fully updated Windows 7 system I use---and scan---all the time. Was using FREE and had just done a scan which came up with nothing. Decided to upgrade to PRO since I do like your product. Did so and then ran a scan and obtained these "Trace.Known Threat Sources."

I have friends have seen this and they just clean them up and move on. I can't find much info on these on your site or the web. Is this a specific known risk? The irony is in this case the previous FREE scan was 2 days earlier and I hadn't visited any questional sources in that time. The earlier scans in the LOG have never shown this kind of detection going back for weeks. I never go to a link that hasn't been cleared by Norton.

SaS says it cleaned these fine but should I be more concerned?

Trace.Known Threat Sources

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\T7AGITEG\queryCAHOGO26.js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\YN3Y0E4U\queryCAQUZJ05.js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1WE741XW\web[1].htm [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\G8DACVS1\web[1].htm [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\A957JUAQ\AJmain[1].js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\4QCH67UY\queryCA2ZGMTE.js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\MZ1MW9AI\web[1].htm [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\V6JC9D1N\AJmain[1].js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\MZ1MW9AI\AJmain[1].js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\ZSG2WO1Y\queryCAYCJMHD.js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\2EXMNHW1\query[11].js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\E884U38J\query[8].js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\1WE741XW\queryCAIMD9OO.js [ cache:webfile ]

C:\USERS\User\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\06PFESGB\queryCAQFRB18.js [ cache:webfile ]

That detection means you visited a website determined to be "bad" and those items in the IE cache are from that website. This could be simply going to a website that offers a program considered to be adware. You don't need to do anything except remove those items.

So, not to sound too much like a noob, but these indications do not mean directly that visiting such a site installed serious malware, such as a keylogger or a Trojan?