swarfega

SAS Not installing in c:\program files

Hi. I recently installed Windows 8 64-bit to test before thinking about buying it.

I have downloaded SAS but it is suggesting that I install it in the c:\program files (x64) folder rather than in the c:\program files folder which it did under Windows 7.

Can I just change the destination folder or is the program no longer 64-bit?

Hi swarfega ,

I'm a little confused by what you're asking, I don't have a 64bit machine to test it on but, you should be able to install it wherever you choose to.

I have downloaded SAS but it is suggesting that I install it in the c:\program files (x64) folder rather than in the c:\program files folder which it did under Windows 7.

Can I just change the destination folder or is the program no longer 64-bit?

If the programme version is a 64bit then surely it would make sense to install it in the 64bit folder ???? This is what confused me, either way it would/should still work.

64-bit software should install in the c:\program files folder though rather than c:\program files (x86) folder.

The x86 folder is 32bit.

Aah, I see the confusion now!

You originally stated - I have downloaded SAS but it is suggesting that I install it in the c:\program files (x64) folder rather than in the c:\program files folder which it did under Windows 7.

That's what through me. LOL

As I say I don't have a 64bit machine to test this out, however Win 8 is a very different OS and as such there have been modifications to the general handling of programmes within it for Security reasons this may be why, although it may be better to ask in the Microsoft forums to find out from one of their dev teams.

ah I hadn't realised I had made that mistake lol. Yes Windows 8 does quite a few things differently. But I do wonder whether the SAS devs are aware of this and maybe I should submit a report.

I doubt they'll release another "test build" especially as it's due for release in October, and they already have previous "test builds" out there. I have used the Dev Preview and the Consumer Preview both are very different in terms of what is to be expected so if SAS doesn't work at all on the 64bit version it probably won't be sorted untill after it's Final release, that way the SAS dev team can know exactly what modifications would have to be made to the programme.

Our setup program detects the 32 or 64 bit state of the operating system using Microsoft's standard methodology... at least it was standard for Windows 7 and below. Odds are they've changed something in Windows 8. It's typical for MS to publish a Release Candidate for developers prior to the consumer release, so we'll have a little time to test and fix any bugs that pop up. You may want to try running the setup program in Win7 compatibility mode (create a shortcut to the SAS Setup EXE, go to the properties of the shortcut, select the compatibility tab).