slothcore

Windows Explorer Error...

Hi,

I'm not sure if I am infected or not. But I might as well try...sorry if this is lengthy.

I've been recently having this odd problem. I'm hoping someone has an idea of what it is, so here goes:

Basically it seems happens when I open my internet browser. SOMETIMES, I get a Windows Explorer error and says it needs to shut down etc. So it does this, and the symptoms that I notice are all of my saved log-ins for websites disappear. I thought it was the browser itself at first, but apparently it is some file in my temporary internet file that is corrupted according to Microsoft's error report. It tells me to download Cache clearer, so I do and run it. It says it ran successfully and cleared all of my "cache". Well, it happend again today. Windows Explorer error and all saved log-ins for websites are gone. I also tried manually clearing my temp internet files (which I do weekly anyway).

Now another thing that is weird. I'll simply restart my computer, and my saved log-ins will be back how they were before. So all I can think of is there is a corrupted file in my temp internet folder or something that is causing this. I checked for spyware/virus the usual to find nothing.

Wow. I'm completely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It seems to happen as I open the browser (I use avant browser) So not exactly random. I open avant browser, my home pages are Yahoo.com and Gmail.com. I notice that it says I need to log in on both of them, which I have saved. That's when I see the windows explorer error and says it needs to close.

Nossirah: I'm using avant browser if that counts. Although I did upgrade it recently around June 23rdish to a new version if that also counts. Is there any fix to this?

How about running a full scan with SAS and posting the log here?

It might also be a good idea to run the System File Checker:

Insert any XP cd and close XP's setup window when the cd autoruns. Now go to Start>Run, type in sfc /scannow and click ok. Note the space between the "c" and the "/".

Unfortunately I tried running the Sfc /scannow but it said I needed an XP disc with SP2 in order to fix files. Mine is pretty old. A thing to note is I took my PC in for repair a while back and the guys had to do something with an XP disc and used their own, which obviously was newer than mine.

I will run the SAS scan and post the log, though.

anyway...

Here is a log of the scan I did YESTERDAY.

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

https://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 07/08/2007 at 06:22 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3266

Trace Rules Database Version: 1277

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 00:19:07

Memory items scanned : 336

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 4264

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 31748

File threats detected : 15

Adware.Tracking Cookie

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@adserving.cpxinteractive[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@e-2dj6wgk4gpczcap.stats.esomniture[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@e-2dj6wjlyoodpekp.stats.esomniture[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@e-2dj6wjnywgdpikp.stats.esomniture[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@interclick[1].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@revsci[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@tacoda[1].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies\user@www.burstnet[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\user@ad1.clickhype[1].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\user@statcounter[1].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\user@tacoda[2].txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Cookies\user@www.burstnet[1].txt

Trace.Known Threat Sources

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Y2TQ80HS\CAM34BLA.swf

The 'trace known threat sources' seems fishy...I have no idea though.

But do any iof you know why now I need to insert a disk when I scan? The error is "SUPERAntiSpyware.exe - No Disk There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D."

that's why I hate doing stuff on my own :(

Seth, no there is no check there. But I restarted the comp and did a scan again and it went all the way through. I guess there might've been a check there before I restarted for some reason, but I never mess with that part.