elspeth

Does SAS need updated almost every hour?

Hello Folks ,

I've just joined and need some help/information.

I ran SAS Free Edition - after I had updated it , and it came up with Virus.FunLove in

C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 7.0\SETUP FILES\RDRBIG708\ENU_\INSTMSIW.EXE

along with a tracking cookie in Documents and Settings/flash player and I chose to remove them, but to complete the removal of Virus.FunLove I was told to reboot , which I did.

I immediately ran SAS again , after updating , and it updated approx 300 items as it did on

the first run , scan ran and Virus.FunLove came up in

C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{18AA3B82-97D2-40FC-8410-E6B9034069C4}\RP1294\A0292429.EXE, so I went in and had a look: it had 'locate this items' to the one I located myself in System Volume Information>restore>RP points and it had pinpointed 'Installer for Windows Installer' file which it subsequently removed after rebooting again.

I have still to run another scan to check if it is completely gone but I updated again and it downloades approx 300 files in updating again.

As all this updating took place within 4 hours ( about 900 files ), is this unusual?

I will run another scan tomorrow as I am late late up now.

Its a Virus that infects PE EXE files, it can be removed with a decent AV however, it can be an arduous task to make sure it is completely removed.

Best thing would be to either Re-install or Re-image to be sure.

Its a Virus that infects PE EXE files, it can be removed with a decent AV however, it can be an arduous task to make sure it is completely removed.

Best thing would be to either Re-install or Re-image to be sure.

Thanks for the reply GuiltySpark.

Re-installing or re-imaging sounds rather drastic; can I ask why you suggest it?

SAS stopped registering it as a problem after that second re-boot........ and Norton , Kaspersky , MalWareBytes, don't register it either, but then Norton 360 let it it thru in the first place and MWB didn't register it when SAS said it was there.

I've had a scout about and the Norton forum, MajorGeeks and some others had very recent posts with this Virus.FunLove causing problems but no definite solution posted.

I did a Windows Search Companion search for Virus.FunLove and got nothing -wasn't expecting it to find anything anyway - but on searching registry it shows up as HK-U\S\M\SEARCH ASSISANT\ACMru\5603 but I think that is just my 'Windows Companion Search' for it and deleted it.