johnpd

Why SAS must run twice?

I have SAS Free on 2 Win7 64-bit laptops as well as on a Vista desktop. SAS installs a start-up on one of the Win7 laptops to initiate it but this is not installed on the other two. I am not sure why this is. If I disable the start-up, I have to execute SAS twice to do an on-demand scan because if I do it just once, the splash screen displays but the program window does not appear. Why is there a difference in how SAS is installed and why in one case it requires SAS to be already running in order to bring up the program window? I have v5.1.0.1002 installed on the two machines without the start-up and reinstalled the latest version on the one with the start-up thinking there was something wrong with the installation.

JohnD

Hi john ,

As far as I'm aware SAS doesn't need to run twice, instead when you see the splash screen look in the Notification area of the taskbar you should see a little yellow Bug, just click that once and the programme will be shown on screen.

If you have SAS on Startup then you should be able to left click the yellow Bug icon to display the programme.

OK, I found out how to resolve it. Your hint about the taskbar pointed me in the right direction. Yes, if you click on the little yellow bug, the SAS window then appears but after I close SAS, it remains resident to support this system tray feature. I found a setting in the Preferences which can change that. I unchecked "Show SUPERAntiSpyware in system tray" and now the SAS window starts immediately and is no longer resident when I close it.

Thanks,

JohnD

But it is still running in the background right ?

That's why its good to have that icon so you can Right click and select Exit.

Anyway glad you got it sorted.

No it is no longer running in the background. Since the free version does not do real-time blocking, I don't understand what having it running buys me. If I want to run a scan, I just start it up.

JohnD