Madeline

SUPERAntiSpyware v.5.0.1150

Hello,

On 17/05/2012, I saw that SAS v.5.0.1150 had been released - indeed it can be downloaded from the download section on your own site. I would like to know when, if ever, this update will be offered at the same time that users update the program's database - or any other time for that matter.

Are we supposed to download the full version of 16.4MB? If so, can we install it over the top of the current version? Where is the up to date Release History/change log?

I know it's 'only' 4 days since the apparent release of this new version, but 4 days is a very long time when trying to protect one's PC(s) from malware.

Another thing that occurs to me is that 16.4MB is a large download if you're on dial-up, as I was until a couple of months ago, so it would be very nice for users who have a slow connection to be offered updates promptly via the program as this method is a great deal quicker.

I hope that somebody will answer my queries soon! Thank you.

Madeline

Madeline as I don't work for SAS the only question I can answer is that yes v.5.0.1150 installs perfectly over the previous release.

I installed the day it was released and have had no problems with it.

Thanks DooGie, that's very useful to know. I'll probably give it another day or so before going for the full download. I hope to get my other questions answered by then too! I see that FileHippo already has the new version available for download.

Madeline

Thank you Michael G. I hope it really will be soon, but to be on the safe side, I won't hold my breath waiting for it!

Madeline :wink:

i think that 5 days for auto update is too much.why? others products auto update more fast. i use superantispyware pro 4 years ago

I agree with you entirely miguelgrado; it's now 6 days and this failure to make the update available through the program is disgraceful.

@ Michael G, or anyone else at SAS Customer Service,

I'd be fascinated to learn your definition of 'soon'! Here are some I've found in a couple of dictionaries which you might like to mull over:

soon - In the near future, shortly

soon adverb - 1. in a short time from now or from a stated time. 2. quickly; with little delay

None of these definitions describes the protracted wait users of SAS, whether of the Free or Pro version, are currently experiencing.

How soon is soon, how long is a piece of string...?

Madeline :angry:

I just installed the new version. This is the first time an update wanted to uninistall a previous version, that I can remember..

So maybe they are having trouble programing the uninstall into the update.

always updates uninistall previus version if you used Installer.it is not an excuse for auto update

The changes in 5.0.1150 mainly deal with the installation process, there are no major improvements or bug fixes that require an immediate release to all users. You are not losing any efficiency by not updating to 5.0.1150 immediately. If you do want to update to 5.0.1150, you can by downloading and installing over the older version. I do not have any information on when 5.0.1150 will auto-update within the program.

I use an update checker and it told me 10 days ago there is a new version of SAS. I wondered why I wasn't offered it when launching the program as typical. After reading this thread I know why but it seems a little odd. I'm glad I didn't pursue looking for a problem with my computer as I might have done.

Would like to see it offered soon.

At last I've got version 5.0.1150 via the program, only almost 2 weeks after I heard about it too! It's a bit of a cheek that, on the SAS Release History site, it says that this version was released today (30th May)! I suppose that's true if you got it through the program. It might be a good idea to update the SAS Home page, where it's still showing the latest version as 5.0.1148.

Madeline

Hello,

On 17/05/2012, I saw that SAS v.5.0.1150 had been released - indeed it can be downloaded from the download section on your own site. I would like to know when, if ever, this update will be offered at the same time that users update the program's database - or any other time for that matter.

Are we supposed to download the full version of 16.4MB? If so, can we install it over the top of the current version? Where is the up to date Release History/change log?

I know it's 'only' 4 days since the apparent release of this new version, but 4 days is a very long time when trying to protect one's PC(s) from malware.

Another thing that occurs to me is that 16.4MB is a large download if you're on dial-up, as I was until a couple of months ago, so it would be very nice for users who have a slow connection to be offered updates promptly via the program as this method is a great deal quicker.

I hope that somebody will answer my queries soon! Thank you.

Madeline

The changes in 5.0.1150 mainly deal with the installation process, there are no major improvements or bug fixes that require an immediate release to all users. You are not losing any efficiency by not updating to 5.0.1150 immediately. If you do want to update to 5.0.1150, you can by downloading and installing over the older version. I do not have any information on when 5.0.1150 will auto-update within the program.

I just got .1150 update through the internal updater. I read its changelog and it was more than install.

At least the SAS home page has been updated now. I think it's a great pity that update notifications and availability aren't better co-ordinated; it makes a good program look sloppy and that's not a good impression to give - particularly with an anti-malware program. I like SAS, I've used it for ages and I've recommended it to other people, so I hope the admin will improve soon!

Madeline

I just installed it for a new client of mine and i noticed one of the options was to install Google Browser. I was suprised that superAntispyware has asked for this, it was never in the installation process before. Why does the company feel Google Browser is better than anyone else's?

robin

I just installed it for a new client of mine and i noticed one of the options was to install Google Browser. I was suprised that superAntispyware has asked for this, it was never in the installation process before. Why does the company feel Google Browser is better than anyone else's?

robin

This sort of thing is really annoying and I doubt if SAS think that Google Chrome is better than any other browser. Fortunately, the question doesn't seem to arise when getting the update via the program rather than downloading the full version. People are often careless about declining any 'extras' when installing programs and end up with all kinds of things that they don't want. Presumably Google are paying SAS to include their browser in the download, but I hope that SAS will abandon this rather underhand practice and find other ways of making money.

Madeline

This sort of thing is really annoying and I doubt if SAS think that Google Chrome is better than any other browser. Fortunately, the question doesn't seem to arise when getting the update via the program rather than downloading the full version. People are often careless about declining any 'extras' when installing programs and end up with all kinds of things that they don't want. Presumably Google are paying SAS to include their browser in the download, but I hope that SAS will abandon this rather underhand practice and find other ways of making money.

Madeline

Of course they are getting payed, i don't see anything wrong with that at all.

Google Chrome is actually quite possibly the best one out there right now, at least one of the 2-3 topnotch options. We are presented with very clear options when installing and one of them is not to install Google Chrome. People being "careless" when installing is a very poor excuse for not taking responsibility for our own actions just like when some are very surprised by something in a contract they have signed without reading it first.

It's not cheasy toolbar adware like some other vendors (Avira with Ask toolbar) seeking extra income in a very difficult market.....basically it's close to dried out because of the economy and everybody naturally not spending anything beyond the basic everyday needs and SAS is small potato with regards to paying customers and have hurt themselves with the lifetime licenses in the past with most that purchased. If this will help SAS stay afloat in this difficult economy then fine with me....go for it as long as i the customer can opt out during the install.

To me it's much more critical that updates to the signatures are only delivered during business hours and not at all during the weekend, malware are delivered 24/7 all year round, but at least we have confirmation from Nick that some weekend updates will start sometime this month or early July. :)

@ Don M,

There's nothing wrong with people getting paid if they make it clear that you're downloading something else with their software. If they don't do so, it seems like sharp practice to me, although many companies do it. Unfortunately, people frequently are careless and keep on clicking 'Next' without reading things properly. Yes, it's a 'poor excuse', but it happens all the time and that's how many people end up with infected PCs.

Clearly you like Google Chrome, so that's fine for you, but it won't suit everyone. Although I've got it, it's probably my least favourite browser - I much prefer Firefox and IE 9.

The fact that a program bundled with a download is a 'good' program is almost irrelevant if it's something that you don't really want. Even legitimate software can sometimes be very difficult to get rid of if you don't want it - the only saving grace is that it probably won't harm your computer!

Madeline

I recently updated to the new version, and noticed that tracking cookies were being sent to quarantine, then deleted (automatically?). Previously, I deleted the items manually from the quarentine, but now there seems to be NOTHING in quarantine. Is this a bug, or is there a way to restore this function as in previous versions?

@ Don M,

There's nothing wrong with people getting paid if they make it clear that you're downloading something else with their software. If they don't do so, it seems like sharp practice to me, although many companies do it. Unfortunately, people frequently are careless and keep on clicking 'Next' without reading things properly. Yes, it's a 'poor excuse', but it happens all the time and that's how many people end up with infected PCs.

Clearly you like Google Chrome, so that's fine for you, but it won't suit everyone. Although I've got it, it's probably my least favourite browser - I much prefer Firefox and IE 9.

The fact that a program bundled with a download is a 'good' program is almost irrelevant if it's something that you don't really want. Even legitimate software can sometimes be very difficult to get rid of if you don't want it - the only saving grace is that it probably won't harm your computer!

Madeline

I have no preference in that dept...well i do: Opera, but that has nothing to do with you/me being responsible for what we install on our pc's which is the bottom line. It's so easy always to shed ourselves of any responsibility and in this case they do make it clear. The fact remains that we are clearly presented with options during the install and nothing is deviously hidden in a way so that users are fooled, that most couldn't care less what they install is their responsibility and simply a poor excuse IMO.

So if it helps SAS to survive: Just do it! They should bundle Opera with it though. ;)

I recently updated to the new version, and noticed that tracking cookies were being sent to quarantine, then deleted (automatically?). Previously, I deleted the items manually from the quarentine, but now there seems to be NOTHING in quarantine. Is this a bug, or is there a way to restore this function as in previous versions?

Internet Explorer cookies are quarantined, Firefox and Chrome cookies are deleted automatically.

I have no preference in that dept...well i do: Opera, but that has nothing to do with you/me being responsible for what we install on our pc's which is the bottom line. It's so easy always to shed ourselves of any responsibility and in this case they do make it clear. The fact remains that we are clearly presented with options during the install and nothing is deviously hidden in a way so that users are fooled, that most couldn't care less what they install is their responsibility and simply a poor excuse IMO.

So if it helps SAS to survive: Just do it! They should bundle Opera with it though. ;)

Hello again Don M,

You're right about Opera, it's a good browser. As you may have gathered, I like using different browsers sometimes - I use Safari too! It's clear that you, like me, read and check what you're installing when you download a program. Alas, there are many people who do not do so, and you could say that it's their lack of responsibility for their actions that helps to keep PC repairers in business, so it's not all bad!

I'm glad to learn that SAS make it clear what's included in their download. I certainly wouldn't want SAS to go out of business as I've had the program for ages. I've recommended it to other people too because it's an excellent program.

Have a good weekend!

Madeline :-)